Nissan XTerra Forum banner

replaced distributor and now theres a metal ding sound.

2K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnny wangwang 
#1 ·
hey guys i have a question and wondering if someone can help me out. yesterday i replaced my distributor on my 2000 xterra with a 3.3 did everything prefect timed it right and the way i was suppose too and now when my truck turns on and i turn it off there's this weird metal ding sound from somewhere. any suggestions? the truck runs great and starts and is all good now but that one thing. and the metal ding sound only happens onces or twice when the truck is cold

#2 ·
#6 ·
Just bought my X. It had a lifter ticking noise from the motor. After replacing the lifter, Cleaning the oil ways and replacing everything it still has the tick. But I noticed that advancing the dizzy too much makes it WAY louder. I also have a knock sensor code I haven't gotten to yet. So in order to have power I had to advance the dizzy. The noise is killing me though so Im just driving it with no power at this point. Once I do the timing belt and verify everything is lined up how its supposed to be and relocate the new knock sensor im hoping that will be the end of my lifter tap.

Why advancing the Dizzy would make a lifter tap makes no sense to me. But whatever.

#7 ·
It makes perfect sense; Your engine is detonating.

Advancing timing on these motors via the distributor is a bad idea, they don't work like your Daddy's 350. Undo that immediately and follow the FSM for the proper procedure. All you are setting at the dist is BASE timing. The computer advances/retards from there based on your knock sensor and a multitude of other variables. Setting it anywhere other than base timing is only going to cause more problems.

My advice;

1. Set timing to base
2. Replace/relocate your knock sensor
3. Check for cracks on your exhaust manifolds (if cracked, your catalytic converters are likely melted, this happens long before you get a CEL)
4. Re-evaluate

#8 ·
I under stand how the timing works. Ive been playing with Nissans for a lot of years now. Just not this VG series of motor. Its always been SR20's. They don't have these issues lol! If I can Im swapping an SR20VET from the xtrail into this car eventually (wonder why this isn't really talked about here...but that's another thread). I just wanted to see if I could get some of the power back. The power came back but the lifter noise got louder. I really don't think its detonation happening. Its just more lifter noise. But they may be connected. Either way I backed it right back down after hearing that noise and Ill stick with decreased power till I swap the knock sensor later this week. Think Im gonna park the car till then anyway. Gonna knock out the timing belt/Tensioner, Knock sensor (Maybe I can get lucky and fit my hand down there to use the stock harness for relocation!!!!:tongue:), and Trans fluids. Pretty sure my cats are good for now. Thanks man. Ill be reading EVERYTHING around here and probably posting a little too lol. Just getting into this Off roading stuff. Ive been more of a drag/road race guy up until now.

#9 ·
Mine used to make the same noise before replacing my KS and both catalytic converters. It was detonation. Sounded like metal tapping on metal.

Good luck. If your truck is a 99-02 with over 100k miles, your catalytic converters are likely toast whether you choose to think it or not. The issue will eventually ruin an engine if it goes too long.

#10 ·
Beef, why would you think this though about the cats? Are they known for going out or something? I have no CEL light on and im pretty sure they are functioning perfectly. I could understand if the CEL was flashing and I kept driving it how it would kill them. But do they go bad all the time or something?

#11 ·
It's a well known issue. See steps 1-4 in my previous post.

#13 ·
Thanks for responding. Looks like my issue isn't the dizzy or timing. Just did my timing belt and a new knock sensor with relocation. I think a Valve slightly Bent on mine from when someone else did the timing belt and that's what my tap is. Sooo... Ive got some fresh heads im going to throw on and hopefully the noise will go away. If not then its gotta be a Rod bearing (Which I highly doubt). Either way I snatched up a good low mileage motor for $100 so Ive gotten lucky so far with this car. It runs fine now that the Knock sensor is replaced and has power. Just a very annoying tick that's driving me crazy lol.

#14 ·
Was it making the noise before the timing belt change or only afterward?

And did you ever look for exhaust manifold cracks?

#15 ·
Its been making it. Noise was there before and after. Havent checked the Manifolds yet. Ill do that when I do the heads this weekend. I Did the trans fluid and filter last night and the filter was a pain in the ass. Got close to 6.5 quarts out though and it shifts/feels better. I can reproduce the noise im hearing on the motor I just got by tapping a Rocker onto the valve with no lifter so im pretty sure I know what the noise is. It has to be a very slightly bent valve since everything else but rod knock has been eliminated and its def coming from the top end. Either way Ill know for sure in a few days. It Idles slightly rough but that could be the knock sensor dropping timing at idle or just the valve not sealing up as it should. But it has all the power it should and runs very smooth through the RPM's.

#16 ·
Good time to throw in some cams and headers.

#17 ·
I was thinking the same thing. But maybe down the road. Priority right now is to get the car running with no noises lol. I don't think I can use headers sadly cause I still have to have cats. Unless they have O2 sims for these cars or has anyone tried Spark plug foulers and had success. I tried to search on that but couldn't find much.

#18 ·
you should be able to put on headers on the truck. i have seen a ton on people use the o2 fuller and pass with it. you just have to get the right one though. there is a lot out there and a lot of them dont work right at all. either they are too long or to short and the hole is to small.

#19 ·
I Went with stock manifolds. They'll be fine for what im trying to do with the car. I don't really feel like experimenting with different O2 foulers on this car lol. A cam swap would've been nice since I had to take the old cam out of one of the "new" heads as the Dizzy gear was damaged on it. But im not spending close to what I paid for the car on cams either lol. Next goal is wiring up the new sound system. Im excited about that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.