post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
TLDANSKIN
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TLDANSKIN is on a distinguished road
2002 Nissan Xterra - Will not Start

I cannot get the car to start ! Replaced the fuel pump this morning but still nothing. Lights all still work so its not a battery issue. You can hear that it wants to turn over but it never quite gets there. If you spray starter fluid into the intake it will start up , back fire and die . I think since its starting when you do this it rules out the battery and timing belt as an issue but I'm not sure. The new fuel pump rules out that as being the issue. Any ideas what could be going on ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2017, 06:26 PM
smason54321
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
smason54321 is on a distinguished road
I've never used one but you may need a fuel pressure gauge to troubleshoot further without blindly replacing parts. If the fuel filter hasn't been changed it couldn't hurt to replace it.

'02 Xterra SE/SC 4x4 5-Spd
2002 Xterra
post #3 of 8 Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Heavy Metal

2004 Xterra
Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Replaced the fuel pump myself on my son's old Pathfinder, and it would start, barely run, and barely get down the road. Frustrated, took it to a shop....Brand new fuel pump from auto zone was bad. So they put another new one in, and sure enough, ran fine. Not saying that's your issue, but talk to any mechanic, they'll tell you replacement fuel pumps of all makes and models can be junk out of the box. The fuel pressure guage is a good idea, and cheap.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2004 Xterra
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 01:25 AM
gecs
Noob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gecs is on a distinguished road
i just bought my 2002 xterra may 2016 (automatic transmission) and immediately had that issue.
i put the car in neutral and turned the key and it started right up. it did that about 4 more times the first month i owned it but since then it starts in park no problem.

give it a try, and let us know
post #5 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 AM
gecs
Noob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gecs is on a distinguished road
sorry , i didn't notice that you have a manual transmission. basically i wanted you to test the neutral safety switch by putting it in another gear that allows starting the vehicle.
....i believe it the neutral safety switch, if the engine is not cranking and your sure your starter and battery are good.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM
netdobeiras
Veteran

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
netdobeiras can only hope to improve
Once had a similar problem and it turned out to be the distributor. Inside the distributor there is a cam sensor and if it is not working properly the truck will simply not start. Also make sure the ignition rotor inside the distributor is on tight.
2001 Xterra
post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
TLDANSKIN
Noob

TLDANSKIN is on a distinguished road
Paid to take the car to a mechanic to run a diagnostic . The guy says he " thinks " its the fuel sending unit . Not sure I like that he used the term " think" but I guess its worth a shot . Wants to charge $1,000 to replace the dang plastic part , so since we had to remove it to put in the fuel pump we figure we will give it a shot ourselves. Wish me luck ! Thanks for the info on the fuel pressure gage. I'm going to check this out as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xterra_fuel_sending_unit.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	53913  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Heavy Metal

2004 Xterra
Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLDANSKIN View Post
Paid to take the car to a mechanic to run a diagnostic . The guy says he " thinks " its the fuel sending unit . Not sure I like that he used the term " think" but I guess its worth a shot . Wants to charge $1,000 to replace the dang plastic part , so since we had to remove it to put in the fuel pump we figure we will give it a shot ourselves. Wish me luck ! Thanks for the info on the fuel pressure gage. I'm going to check this out as well.
Did you get it figured out?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2004 Xterra
2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.