post #21 of 26 Old 03-26-2015, 04:57 PM
bluez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
bluez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovictor_14 View Post
Thanks for the info! I live in the Caribbean so most of the year is super-hot and humid, lots of traffic 33c on day 25c on night, 200 miles a week with almost none highway driving. The longest trip you can do here is 3 hours from point to point.

My engine is 150k, it uses gasoline and LPG (http://lovato-autogas.com.au/) Do I have to stick to 5w30 or should use something different?
Do you not have to stick with 5w-30. In your situation it is likely sub-optimal.

Go with a 10w-40.

If you are on a budget, the Kendall, Castrol GTX and Valvoline Durablend in 10w-40 are all excellent choices.
If not on a budget: , Mobil1 0w-40 or 15-50, Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 and the best of course Redline in either 5w-40 or 10w-40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM
bluez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bror Jace View Post
jmoney8659, 1) your engine is under more stress than most at all RPM ranges. And 2) a supercharged engine is more likely to dilute the oil with fuel.

Both of these tend to increase wear (gasoline is a poor lubricant and a powerful solvent)

Given you are in Tennessee, I would use a 10W-30 conventional or nearly any XW-30 synthetic (see below if you pick Mobil 1).

'rat, look at the pour points for both Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30. You could use their 10W-30 year 'round with no problems, I'm sure. So, if this makes it easier for you from an oil stockpile point of view, then that's what I'd do.

One thing about Mobil 1, though, it starts off a touch thin in each grade. I like to think of their 5W-30 as almost a 5W-25. There's nothing wrong with this as most engines are perfectly happy (even happier) using lighter viscosity oils. But if you have a fuel dilution problem (worn rings, many cold starts and the engine tends to run rich), figure that the Mobil 1 will effectively thin out quickly. Then, most Mobil 1 grades have a light metallic additive package, so wear protection may not be exactly great once this stuff has some miles and thinning on it.

I don't say this to alarm anyone. Mobil 1, especially their EP grades, is pretty good stuff. But I caution people who are using this stuff not to go to far before draining just because they think they are using the 'best stuff available' and they can get away with 8,000-10,000+ mile intervals. There is a reason they came out with the "EP" formulas ... it's Mobil 1's traditionally weak additive package.

Pennzoil Platinum is better for vehicles that tend to have fuel dilution issues (because of its additive package). This is a pretty common condition if you do a lot of cold starts and short trips. I am posting a UOA on BITOG tonight using this oil. The OLM on my car told me it was about time for a change (almost down to 20%) but the oil held up VERY well.
Good post.

The Mobil1 10w30 is only 30 weight I like in Mobil1 . Otherwise I have used MObil 1 0w-40 and 15w-50 in my supercharged VQs

Last edited by bluez; 03-26-2015 at 05:01 PM.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
bluez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man2507 View Post
Ok so im a college student who is going to school in northern Arizona, Prescott to be exact but i live in Colorado and travel home during the winter break and spring break, and some of the summer. What would be the best compromise with oil weight between the two climates. Prescott where im at most of the time has been know to get below 0 and up to 90+ degrees and its even know to snow a few days out of the year, but when im at home in Colorado its often cold below zero and snows way more and has a high of 80 or so. I believe that i am currently using 10w-30 according to the dealer which is in colorado. Should i stick with that or go with something a little lower for the heat here in AZ?? what's the best oil weight to go with??
No reason to stick with the recommended 5w-30.
CAFE has a lot to do with this recommendation.

10w-40 in Arizona.
When you look at old (or some international) nissan manuals for VQ engines they generally recommend 10w-40 in summer for NA engines.

Since u are a college student stick w/ Kendall 10w-40 or Castol GTX 10w-40 or the Shell non syn 10w-40m (walmart, good stuff)

No need to spring for synthetic in these engines.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-26-2015, 06:52 PM
xterracc
Noob

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
xterracc is on a distinguished road
The en?ine sounds very noisy, even new one at start up. An automobile write up in a car magazine referred to it as an "industrial sounding motor". If you are in a warm or hot climate, run 20w-50. It will quiet the motor, protect it in hot weather, and if you drive an xterra do not expect gas mileage regardless of oil viscosity. Oh! Did I not mention noisy timing chains and guides at higher mileage becoming an issue.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-26-2015, 06:57 PM
bluez

Xterracc Welcome to the Club
post #26 of 26 Old 07-01-2015, 05:15 PM
03X74008
Noob

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
03X74008 is on a distinguished road
I would go with Valvoline Max Life 10W30. Get it at waldo mart. Usually less than 20.00 for a 5 qt package.

Live like there is no tomorrow as it is not guaranteed.
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.