Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Running 255/85r16's?

10K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  OceaniaAE-1 
#1 · (Edited)
255/85r16 vs. 33x12.5x15 ???

Anyone running these on a 2002? I have a 3" SL and stock wheels. I've been eyeballing the BFG KM2's in 255/85/r16. Lets see some pics if you have them! Anything would be a big help. Let me know what you had to do to fit them and how they work for you.

Thanks,

#3 ·
Im running 31's in a 255 right now. Im digging the skinnier tire but was wanting to see if anyone has gone with these pizza cutters. I have seen tons of great things about them on every other forum except for here.

#5 ·
Regardless of preference on width, those are a full 33" tire so in a situation where you're compressed and turning you will have some metal rubbing if you don't at least bash in your pinch seams.

#6 ·
Regardless of preference on width, those are a full 33" tire so in a situation where you're compressed and turning you will have some metal rubbing if you don't at least bash in your pinch seams.
Is that with a 2" BL too? Or could I just trim some metal with my 3" SL. I know the BL adds more clearance for bigger tires but Im wondering if just by clearing metal the 3" will be enough at neutral to clear the tires.

#8 · (Edited)
Not much to add, but wanted to say there is nothing wrong with going skinnier than stock.

the 255/85/16 is a common tire the Toyota guys I run with use. More affectionately called "pizza cutters"

Lets you fit a tall tire without a lot of the clearance issues associated with turning.

I think KM2s are some of the only ones in that size viably available.

I have no help with XTerra fitment though :(

EDIT: this thread seems to have a lot of good info on fitting 33s. Seems like minimal trimming on 33x12.5s so it cant be that bad

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8580

#9 ·
How are those treating you? Did you have to upgrade the steering as well due to the bigger contact patch?
I love my KM2's. Had them over 2 years now and still have about 70% tread left but i have DD tires that i use when i'm not wheeling. Just went wheeling a few weeks ago and had no issues at all when everyone else was slipping on trails. I won't buy any other MT.

#11 ·
I love my KM2's. Had them over 2 years now and still have about 70% tread left but i have DD tires that i use when i'm not wheeling. Just went wheeling a few weeks ago and had no issues at all when everyone else was slipping on trails. I won't buy any other MT.
Yeah they seem like a real solid tire. I have a buddy who runs them in a 32 and he has had them for almost 2 years on his DD. Still look pretty mean to me.

#12 ·
So to completely switch tracks now, as I have not been able to find much info on the 255's , I am looking at Duratracs 33x12.5x15. I will getting a body lift put on soon then Im going to order some soft 8s at the same time as the tires. I know I won't be able to get away with no rubbing but everyone who is running these, what did you have to cut to be free of bite?

Thanks

#13 ·
So to completely switch tracks now, as I have not been able to find much info on the 255's , I am looking at Duratracs 33x12.5x15. I will getting a body lift put on soon then Im going to order some soft 8s at the same time as the tires. I know I won't be able to get away with no rubbing but everyone who is running these, what did you have to cut to be free of bite?

Thanks
Very little on mine. At the time of the pics PML, 2" BL, but stock rims.

Trimming to the plastic piece behind the front wheel

And way more then I needed to remove on the front bumper. :p

Also had to run the steering stops out a bit to stop the tires from hitting the LCA's and the line guard plate on the passenger side frame behind the front wheel. Rear requires no mods.

#14 ·
Very little on mine. At the time of the pics PML, 2" BL, but stock rims.
Thanks for the info and Pics Racer! Were you running the same tire? I was really leaning towards the tall skinny's but now I'm digging the fatties a little more. Having a 3" suspension lift instead of a PML shouldn't change much right? Since the tires will still go to the same spot when stuffed.

#15 ·
Thanks for the info and Pics Racer! Were you running the same tire? I was really leaning towards the tall skinny's but now I'm digging the fatties a little more. Having a 3" suspension lift instead of a PML shouldn't change much right? Since the tires will still go to the same spot when stuffed.
Didn't change at all on mine when I went to a 3" SL. Yes running 33x12.5x15 Duratracs with the PML and the 3" SL.

#16 ·
Good deal. Thanks. Yeah the more I'm checking out other rigs, I think I'm liking the wider stance a lot more. Thanks for the info. Is that your daily driver too? If so, how has the wear been on those?

#17 ·
Didn't change at all on mine when I went to a 3" SL. Yes running 33x12.5x15 Duratracs with the PML and the 3" SL.
Also, running a bigger tire like that, how did your steering react? Did you have to beef it up or did you notice that it stayed pretty sturdy with the bigger contact patch?

Thanks,

#18 ·
Good deal. Thanks. Yeah the more I'm checking out other rigs, I think I'm liking the wider stance a lot more. Thanks for the info. Is that your daily driver too? If so, how has the wear been on those?
Yes it is my DD but it's only an 8 mile or so round trip to and from work. :tongue: My tires have 25K on them right now and appear as if they will go another 10K but they will be flat out dead at that point. The wear is mainly on the current steer tires and due to a poor alignment, my fault, so I think they may be able to go 40K if treated correctly.

Also, running a bigger tire like that, how did your steering react? Did you have to beef it up or did you notice that it stayed pretty sturdy with the bigger contact patch?

Thanks,
My steering survived a whole week with 33's before the centerlink gave up. My guess would be the centerlink was already mostly toast and the 33's just pushed it over the edge. Xterror04 has had fairly good luck with 33's and the OEM centerlink but also did not have the 160K miles mine did.

For the last two years I've been running 33's, AC TRA's, a TC IAB, and a Grassroots centerlink and my steering has zero play in it.

#19 ·
Yes it is my DD but it's only an 8 mile or so round trip to and from work. :tongue: My tires have 25K on them right now and appear as if they will go another 10K but they will be flat out dead at that point. The wear is mainly on the current steer tires and due to a poor alignment, my fault, so I think they may be able to go 40K if treated correctly.

My steering survived a whole week with 33's before the centerlink gave up. My guess would be the centerlink was already mostly toast and the 33's just pushed it over the edge. Xterror04 has had fairly good luck with 33's and the OEM centerlink but also did not have the 160K miles mine did.

For the last two years I've been running 33's, AC TRA's, a TC IAB, and a Grassroots centerlink and my steering has zero play in it.
Ok cool, yeah I already got the IAB with the SL package and I was already looking at upgrading the steering and getting some tougher TRA's and TRE's. Didn't know about the centerlink so thanks for the heads up on that. Any kits out there that swap everything in one shot?

#21 ·
Or any suggestions on good parts for the TRE, TRA, and Centerlink?
Calmini makes a steering set up but I have never seen one so no experience with it. I have AC TRA's, Calmini makes them as well, and the only centerlink I'm aware of is Grassroots 4x4. With the Grassroots link you need to run OEM style TRE as the link is over sized and cuts down on the clearance for the TRE's. The Grassroots link also requires some machine work be done to the steering arm and idler arm.

I know some of the NE guys run the Calmini maybe one will chime in.

#22 ·
Damn. Yeah I've seen a couple of threads on the Rockhumper CL and that thing is beefy as hell. He's no longer making those if I'm correct? What are the odds I'd be alright with just getting some stronger TRE's and TRA's?

#25 ·
Nice. So really is that all that should have to be touched? CL, TRE, TRA? This will mainly be for trail driving for some back country hiking and camping trips. Going to be moving to KC soon and I already have lots of plans for being close to CO! Since she is my daily driver I don't want to be able to crawl up a wall, but knowing that the weight of the 33" meats wont snap something sending me to the morgue. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.