Nissan XTerra Forum banner

'04 3.3 Xterra trouble starting

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  beef tits 
#1 ·
I've got an '04 Xterra with ~215,000 miles. Because of a recent breakdown I've replaced fuel pump(delphi), Distributor(Beck&Arney), starter, and new NGK plugs and wires. All this was replaced after being stranded where it would start and idle but die as soon as put in gear. After it all I assumed it was the coils in the distributor that failed.

Now the current issue- It starts fine when cold but after reaching a destination whether it's 10 blocks or 100 miles and trying to start again it will turn over but won't fire up without quite a bit of fuss. Lots of turning over and it seems that pumping pedal helps it start. Only codes I've had are bank1 sensor1 codes for O2 sensor.

Will a fouled O2 sensor trim back fuel once heated enough to keep it from starting?

Thanks in advance for your help. This is my first post but I've been lurking and using this great resource for awhile.

#3 ·
I've returned the replacement distributor for another replacement. Got it all timed and whatnot then took off for a drive. I let is sit for awhile and went back to crank it and it seemed to crank a second or so too long. I'm afraid I'm headed down the same path again. With the last distributor I tried spraying b12 to see if I was getting any spark and it still wouldn't do anything but turn over.

Any ideas on why I'm losing spark when it heats up?

#5 · (Edited)
I'd replace that O2 sensor first then see how it runs. That being said...

I've been through 4 distributors in less than 1,500 miles and I am afraid I need a 5th. Been through the FSMs for proper timing procedures, diagnosed at a shop, I checked the harness and everything. Same conclusion each time; Bad distributor. Unfortunately, it seems they are all just fucking junk. I've been buying from NAPA, made in Japan, Hitachi-style. Supposedly the same one they sell at the dealer now since they no longer sell new Nissan ones.

However, the troubles I have been having were more than just no-start. It usually blips (cuts ignition) here and there, then more and more and progressively gets worse until it won't start at all. Usually happens over the course of a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.