Should I just buy a new damn distributor??? - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
6mtgstyle
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6mtgstyle is on a distinguished road
Should I just buy a new damn distributor???

2002 X 4x4 3.3 NA automatic, 180,000 miles. Truck sputters, hesitates (sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter) every time I go over 2500 rpm and dies at idle after the engine has warmed up. If I give it very light gas and keep the rpms under 2500 I can manage to get her up to about 53 mph if i drive like a 90 yr old in a buick. Took it to autozone for codes. Got p0442, p1163, p0325, p0102. What I have done. Replaced EVAP canister. New cap and rotor. Replaced pass exhaust manifold due to cracks and holes. Replaced both upstream o2 sensors. Confirmed that the cats on pass side are not backed up. Fuel pressure was at 35 so I replaced the fuel pump today. The fuel sending unit connectors were not corroded, all contents in the gas tank looked very clean, no crud on the strainer on the original fuel pump. Cranked her up today I am still having the same problem. I guess Ill go back to autozone and get the fuel pressure kit again to see if i have a defective pump. I fixed the power wire to the MAF sensor because it had inconsistent voltage when I moved the piggyback around. MAF checks out on multimeter. When I disconnect the MAF while the engine is running, it keeps running the same. I keep reading conflicting info that says this means that MAF is good and that the MAF is bad because it does this. Spark plugs and wires look good, checked them on the multimeter and they all look good, i didnt pull out the plug closest to the firewall. Plugs and wires look new ( I bought the x used a few months ago) . Distributor is getting spark and the ohms check out on the coil. No oil, no metal shavings evident on the distributor. No corrosion on the coil. No play on the shaft/rod that the rotor is attached too. Any suggestions on what I should look into next? I really like the X but I've never had such a hard time pinpointing the issue on any vehicle I have ever owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
6mtgstyle
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6mtgstyle is on a distinguished road
I would like to add that on a cold start, the X will usually run just fine up to the first 3-5 minutes. Revs freely past 2500 rpm with no issue but once the engine warms up...thats when all the trouble begins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.