Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2000 Nissan Xterra Stalling and Jerking

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  TCypress 
#1 ·
Ill try to make this short and sweet.

X began jerking on the highway and eventually would stall while running. My friend ran the computer and mentioned the ignition coil was failing. Ended up buying the whole distributor, wires and plugs.

After installing the X would run okay but wouldn't hold an idle. It basically stalls each time i let the gas go. Friend suggested the M.A.F sensor, bought installed and still the same.

$600 deep and the X keeps stalling. Timing belt was changed around 105k, currently has round 115k.

I am extremely frustrated, any suggestions?:pullout:

#5 ·
do you know if he set the rotor back to the same postion the old one(thing under cap in old distributor) came off at? that could cause issues as well and which plugs did you get? what brand and double platinum platinum or copper or iridiums? our tuck will run best on ngk double plats or irdiums

#6 ·
As for plugs, the NGK iridiums work best.
Have you checked the large intake rubber for cracks, or leaks where hoses and their components come in. If you are getting air leaks after the maf, the idle will suffer and cause stalling at idle.
The older the rubber gets, the more prone it is to crack and leak air. Even a loose connections will cause this problem.

#7 ·
The plugs I am using are NGK Laser Platinums

Update: I've been driving the X for about a week with little to no problems (a little jerking). The weather in Colorado has been around 5-15 degrees.

Today the temperature reached 57 degrees and its been jerking/stalling but this time it wont start back up.

Ill have the X towed to the shop and have them check for leaks, cracks and the rotor. What can the heat possibly cause for the X to act up? Ideas? :(

#8 ·
The throttle body may be mucked up and need cleaning, to restore good idle characteristics. There also may be an air leak before the TB. Check for cracks and loose hoses going to the intake tube.

#13 ·
Possible, it tells everything when to do anything, based on dozens of sensors. I knock the 1st gens for having a simple computer, but if it can't tell a fuel injector to go, or misreads the incoming air volume, then it will not run right.

#17 ·
take off the intake hosing right before the throttle body and look inside. there is a butterfly valve in there. sometimes it may get a carbon and dirt build up and become stuck in one position. id take that off, get a little bit of carb cleaner, a tooth brush and clean that thing out.
you should be able to with one finger just posh it open and closed its got a very light spring holding it in place. try that. its happened on my old 94 4runner. its happened on my girlfriends saturn vue and my father in laws chevy taho.

-devin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.