NEED HELP ASAP ! Fuel line connector - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
tercel89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

NEED HELP ASAP ! Fuel line connector

I have a 2001 and replacing the fuel sending unit and pump. All my parts are here and I have the sending almost out. I cant seem to figure out how to disconnect one of the fuel lines going from under the sending unit to the pump. There were two kinda long looking tabs and most videos show and telling people to pull them down. I tried and it wont come off. And now part of those long tab thingys broke. I cant get a picture to post cause its in a tight spot.
Can someone pleae tell me how I can remove this darn thing please ? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I took off work today to fix this since I got all the parts and so I am stuck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
tercel89

I think its the fuel return line connector
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 AM
forcefed420a

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I remember that thing. I HATED it, and I couldn't get it off either. Here's what I did:

The fast connection thing is for the factory so they can move more parts through. You don't need it. You just need a way to connect the fuel pump to that line so it leaves the tank. Cut it off and take a small section of fuel line hose, and connect it using some fuel injection hose clamps. Done. That's how I did mine, and it's been working fine for a while. Just take a razor and slowly cut the side of the quick connector. Don't go too deep where you cut into the plastic tube behind it. I wouldn't use a dremel. They can cut too fast (especially through plastic) and I'd be concerned about a spark. Yes, I know it's plastic.....

One last thing. Cut the hose to where the sending unit will sit in the tank. This will make sense when you get it together. The factory hose is crinkled to allow for some movement, but you won't have that. You may need to trim it down a few times before it sits just right. But you can do it. I did. And I'm an idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
tercel89

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed420a View Post
I remember that thing. I HATED it, and I couldn't get it off either. Here's what I did:

The fast connection thing is for the factory so they can move more parts through. You don't need it. You just need a way to connect the fuel pump to that line so it leaves the tank. Cut it off and take a small section of fuel line hose, and connect it using some fuel injection hose clamps. Done. That's how I did mine, and it's been working fine for a while. Just take a razor and slowly cut the side of the quick connector. Don't go too deep where you cut into the plastic tube behind it. I wouldn't use a dremel. They can cut too fast (especially through plastic) and I'd be concerned about a spark. Yes, I know it's plastic.....

One last thing. Cut the hose to where the sending unit will sit in the tank. This will make sense when you get it together. The factory hose is crinkled to allow for some movement, but you won't have that. You may need to trim it down a few times before it sits just right. But you can do it. I did. And I'm an idiot.
Thanks a bunch. I'll try it on my first day off work. I'll let you know how it went.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
tercel89

Well Thank God I got it all back toagther and it's running great ! It's been sitting dormant for over 3.5 years. I am extremely excited ! I haven't had a Nissan in 14 years. Now I guess I'll grease most of the fittings and start cleaning up the insides and get all the dirtdobber and wasp nests out . Probably change out the rear differential fluid too.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-2017, 07:18 AM
forcefed420a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
Well Thank God I got it all back toagther and it's running great ! It's been sitting dormant for over 3.5 years. I am extremely excited ! I haven't had a Nissan in 14 years. Now I guess I'll grease most of the fittings and start cleaning up the insides and get all the dirtdobber and wasp nests out . Probably change out the rear differential fluid too.

Awesome man! Glad it worked. I know how frustrated I was with that stupid connector, glad you got it all buttoned up. I'm sure you've changed the oil too, after 3.5 years. Is it 4x4? Might wanna take a peak at the front bearings and make sure the grease looks good with no water. Just trying to think of stuff to look at after that long....
post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
tercel89

Quote:
Awesome man! Glad it worked. I know how frustrated I was with that stupid connector, glad you got it all buttoned up. I'm sure you've changed the oil too, after 3.5 years. Is it 4x4? Might wanna take a peak at the front bearings and make sure the grease looks good with no water. Just trying to think of stuff to look at after that long....
It's 4X2 . It's been sitting for over 3.5 years. I drained the old oil out and used a small heater to heat up the oil pan to help it drain out better. I then put in new oil and oil filter. I took the plugs out and poured some penetrating oil into each cylinder. I let it soak for 7 days to free up the piston rings in case they were froze or rusted to the cyclinder walls. Then I hand cranked the engine with a ratchet on the crankshaft. It rotated great. Then I put the plugs back in. It started with starting fluid but would run itself cause the sending unit was bad. And now its running and driving. Next thing is to oil the driveshaft and chage rear differential fluid. The headliner inside is hanging down. I may rip it out tommarow.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2017, 06:41 PM
forcefed420a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
The headliner inside is hanging down. I may rip it out tommarow.
Sounds awesome man! Glad she started right up for you. They're pretty tough motors, glad the 3.5 years didn't kill it. Just keep an eye on the oil. If there was a little rust in the cylinder, it could have pitted, and as the engine runs, oil could get stuck in the pits and get burned off. Probably not a huge deal, just something to keep an eye on.

I've done a headliner. Last summer in fact. Mine was falling down on top of my head, and it was SO irritating. When you're ready for the job, let me know. I'll guide you through some of the things I learned and the products I used to replace it, and what I'd do differently. It's really not a huge job. Just needs LOTS of glue...lol
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
tercel89

Quote:
Sounds awesome man! Glad she started right up for you. They're pretty tough motors, glad the 3.5 years didn't kill it. Just keep an eye on the oil. If there was a little rust in the cylinder, it could have pitted, and as the engine runs, oil could get stuck in the pits and get burned off. Probably not a huge deal, just something to keep an eye on.

I've done a headliner. Last summer in fact. Mine was falling down on top of my head, and it was SO irritating. When you're ready for the job, let me know. I'll guide you through some of the things I learned and the products I used to replace it, and what I'd do differently. It's really not a huge job. Just needs LOTS of glue...lol
Awesome , I'll let you know when I start the headliner. I think I'll wait till around March when it gets warmer. Right now I am thinking of maybe removing the AC and the AC condenser and all the plumbing to it under the hood. The AC doesn't work so removing it and its components will give me more room under the hood. I did this on my older car and it freed up a load of room so doing other jobs will be way more easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.