Hard or No Cold Starts - Page 4 - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #31 of 34 Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Hubbs
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hubbs is on a distinguished road
I live in Canada and have had my Xterra for 7 years. I've gone through some incredibly cold winters (most times i plug in the block heater) but on occasions i don't and my car always started....until this summer. I think i bought a cheap battery and it oxidized like crazy to the point where my car wouldn't start and when it got boosted it died within 20 minutes. My buddy removed the oxidation and cleaned up the terminals and it was back to normal until the cold hit, now it doesn't start if it gets below -5'ish. I've swapped out the battery for a quality one but that didn't work. I plugged in the block heater on friday, tried to start it saturday morning and saturday afternoon and it wouldn't start however on sunday morning it did start repeatedly throughout the day even though it was -15 (the car was plugged in the whole time). However, this still gives me no confidence that my car will start regularily in the cold. I'm going to try the ignition on/off game next time my car doesn't start to see if that is the issue. I'll also be calling nissan to see if i was one of the vehicles that needed to be recalled beacuse of the ecm. If i find out anything else i'll check back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 12-27-2015, 03:15 PM
DMLColorado
Noob

DMLColorado is on a distinguished road
Angry 2010 Nissan Xterra wont start in cold- continuous problem

OK- so this is about the 3rd 4th time now.
THought it was the battery; battery was checked out couple weeks ago when car wouldnt start- it was a cold night

Went to start car Christmas late afternoon- dead. GO Nissan on phone said it was the FOB; got fob replaced, did not work; had car jumped not starting.

Now its SUnday- have to work tomorrow. Firestone is my only option.

From what I am reading this could be the EMC Module?

Has anyone else had this problem- frustrated.

Otherwise my Nissan has mechanically been great.

Why wont it start??? I need my car now!

Thank you
post #33 of 34 Old 01-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Hubbs
Noob

Car is still not starting if I don't have the block heater plugged in and it's sits for 4+ hours in below 0C temps. Have tested and concluded that it's not the alternator or the battery that's the issue. Also pulled every fuse individually to see what could be draining the battery when the car is off, nothing unusual found, also pulled every relay to see if any were stuck but they were all fine, even unplugged the entire ecu but still nothing unusual. This thing has me stumped. It's gotta be a parasitic drain from somewhere. In the interim I bought a battery booster pack, if the car doesn't start I hook it up and let it sit for a few minutes (depending how cold it is) and it starts right away. I have to hook up the negative clamp directly to the negative battery post, sometimes if I ground the negative clamp from the booster pack the car won't turn over. Hooking up both clamps to both terminals works every time.

post #34 of 34 Old 01-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Hubbs
Noob

Took it to Nissan and they were no help at all, they basically did all the tests I did at home (pulled fuses/relays, battery change) except they fully removed my remote start (and didn't reinstall it after they realized it was not the issue). They also swapped the battery and threw out my old one, which I told them not to do. They also swapped out my IPDM and ECU with ones they had in shop, no luck there either. So after all is said and done I had my remote start removed, got a new battery, the problem was not fixed, and I paid for 2 hours diagnostics (they spent 5 on it though). All in all it cost me $360 bucks to have Nissan confirm what I already know and I'm short one remote start now.

My temporary solution is going to be to try an auto battery disconnect to disconnect the battery when my car is parked, comes with a remote and will auto disconnect once he battery reaches 12V. http://www.wirthco.com/battery-life-...1190-l-en.html

On another forum I did finis "solution" that seems be working for this woman. In Summary "...The next day they call me and turns out there was no communication between the TCM and ECM. They found a used ECM part for me here is the part that is says on my invoice KRTP USED ECM for $525.00 labour $260.00 And its now been 4 weeks and I have left my vehicle out in -19 Celsius till its completely cold and so far it's started up instantly every time....". I'm trying to get clarity if it was an ECM swap or just a part within the ECM. If it's a ECM swap I'm not confident in that solution as others have tried that and it failed.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...0464#msg648329

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.