Nissan XTerra Forum banner
2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  CanX 
#1 ·
Helo everyone,

I have seen an xterra from 2001,(66.000M) did an small inspection from outside everything looks well, but under there are a couple thinks. First of all i live on Bonaire were is a lot of salt in the air. so i want to clean a lot.

the crackshaft seal needs to replace
stabilizer bar needs new rubbers and bolts
a pomp is for the steering is wet.

The question is, takes it a lot of money to repair those thinks.
And what are the most commend issues with the Xterra?
Also all the parts are available is it?

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
That's low mileage for a 2001. While the rust looks bad, it may not be a deal breaker. You WILL have a lot of seized bolts though so expect the need to replace them and incur extra labour costs. The bolts for the t-bars and upper a-arms can seize badly.

For parts go here: courtesyparts.com

Crankcase seal: As far as I know the seals are sold as a kit and most mechanics will recommend replacing all of the seals, so a lot of labour costs. However, with low mileage and a slow leak you can probably put this repair off for quite some time. So long as you aren't losing fluid to the point where you need to top up your oil between oil changes, you should be ok.

Stabilizer bar: bushings will be cheap and cost an hour of labour unless you do it yourself.

Power steering pump: probably best to remove it to find the leak at the hose/gasket. Unlikely you'll need to replace the whole pump, it may just be a matter of tightening something up.

I'd say the most common problem with Gen 1 Xterras is cracked exhaust manifolds. Have those checked. Also, the heat shields rust badly and rattle leading to all sorts of false alarms. Remove them all. Religiously follow the service schedule for fluid replacement, especially for the driveline. If you don't know when it was last done: do it! Other than that, the Gen 1 is a tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.