Nissan XTerra Forum banner

I'm new and asking about plug removal of CPS

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Grubfish 08 
#1 ·
Sounds dumb I know, I've been a mechanic for 45 years but not getting the plug off the bank 1 cam sensor on an 08 x-terra 4.0. Maybe I'm too old and weak ! Whats the trick ? Meanwhile I reset the code and it hasn't come back FWIW ( I'm sure it will eventually).

#2 ·
I see that 41 people had a look at my question, maybe it's not clear. I'm having trouble unlatching the connector. Is it a squeeze connector like many others I see on the engine that I had no trouble unconnecting ? I'm squeezing basically at the tip or on the edge of the tab but it won't unlatch. I don't want to get angled pliers on it if that particular connector works differently ?

I'm questioning this sensor actually being bad since the code cleared and didn't return right away. But I own the thing now and that was the code P0340.

#3 ·
Funny my head read CPS as crank Position code. but you have a Cam position code:

this Thread at the NewXhad some good reading:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39005&page=3

I have a gen1 and dont really have access to a gen2 to look for you. I was going to see what alldata says when i get to work. but its not always helpfull on clips.

#5 ·
I appear to have won, got it apart and new sensor in. Cleared the code again ( yes it did come back originally on a hot start). So far so good. For those interested it seems you lift the tab. What I did is remove the bolt to the sensor and started to get it out of the engine. It didn't want to move, in prying on it lightly with a screw driver to pop the O ring the plug came off. That didn't tell me much but when I snapped it back on the new sensor I could feel the tab lift up against my finger.

#7 ·
It takes alittle imagination to do this job

Im glad you got it and thanks for coming back and updating the thread... I hate when im searching for something and find unanswered threads.
Because you really can't get a good visual on the sensor . You do a lot of it by feel. But yes, I replied back for the very reason you mention, to leave a tidbit of info for someone else looking this up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.