Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1st gen. aftermarket skids, pic request

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Ehlectric 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide between shrockworks or skidrow aftermarket skids for my 02' x. I like the shrockworks skids better, as they cover more, but i am worried about the nootorious long shrockworks lead times. Please post up pics of your skids, thoughts and opinions on these 2 brands. Thanks. Matt

#4 ·
My recommendation:

1. Take pics of Shrock skids to local fab shop
2. Have fab shop create clones of Shrock skids
3. Profit (savings?)

You'll get exactly what you want and you will pay/wait less than you would for the Shrock parts, guaranteed.

#5 ·
I currently just have the shrock engine/transmission skid:

I like the protection it offers, and as far as lead time goes, after my order was placed I made a couple follow up calls and as soon as I made the second call it was shipped. Dunno if it was coincidence or not, but I wanted it for an off road trip and they got it to me before I left.

I'm sure they are all similar, but I do like being able to drain the oil without removing the skid. Otherwise it would be quite a pain

#6 ·
#7 ·
#8 ·
I went rock road outfitters for my sliders and will be going through them to get my skids when the funds roll around lol

http://www.rocky-road.com/xterra-skid-plates-2000-2004.html

great customer service, great product, and an awesome turn around time
I haven't heard of these guys, but they look good and the price is real nice.
Always nice to see another option but at $1129 for four plates (front, engine/trans, T-case, gas tank) the Skid Row plates are $289 cheaper through AC. https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/set-of-four-skid-row-skid-plates-p-6162.html

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys!! I decided to go with the Shrockworks skids. They are not much more then the skidrows, and i like the extra coverage of the torsion bars. Now i just gotta wait...ugh lol. Racerxxl your rig is sick!! Your suspension flex is rediculous!!

#10 ·
I live only a few miles from Shrockworks, and they got me the whole set of Gen1 plates in less than 2 weeks. The catch was they were bare steel, so I had to prep and paint them myself. The biggest delay with shrock is getting them powder coated, because they get that done in batches. They also make them in runs, so if you happen to order after a couple of other poeple, then your wait is less.

They are VERY heavy duty. I did my own slight modification of the attachment hardware for the engine and transfer case plates because it can be sort of difficult to reach some of the factory bolt holes in the cross members. I made some short bars with threaded holes that I could reach with to replace some of the nuts.

#11 · (Edited)
Shrocks and Skid-Rows are very similar, but the Shrocks do protect the t-bars and that area better. When I had the Skid-Row plates (I started with Skid-Row,s...) my t-bars got gouged pretty bad, and the bars can get knocked more, etc. Jason (BlueX) for example had his bars pop out on him fairly regularly, and he did get tired of spending hours under there doing trail fixes.

Other than the t-bars area coverages....they are both very well made, and both use really good powder coating.

I still have the S-R gas tank skid on, When I replaced my bashed to sheet S-R plates, I left the gas one on, as it was still functional.

I replaced all of the other S-R plates with Shrockworks plates, and they have been awesome.

I have some pics:

Brand Spanking New Skid-Row Skid Plates before they were abused enough to notice.

Skid-Row Skid Plates after they were abused enough to notice. (And yes, those are the same set of tires in both pics)

:feuerkopf-big:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.