Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Strange Noise from Engine and Feel in Gas Pedal at 55-65MPH

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RonHiggz 
#1 ·
Hey you guys I have a quick question. I recently had my timing belt, water pump, valves, head gasket, cap & root, ignition wires, IAC valve, and spark plugs changed in my 2003 Nissan Xterra SE 6cyl non supercharged. The truck runs amazing at all speeds except for in between 55mph-65mph. When I reach these speeds a thumping and crackling sound comes from the engine compartment and I can feel a small push against the gas pedal. Its small and the noise and throttle "thumping" will go away if I go under or over this speed. Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this?

#3 ·
Possibly? I really don't have the slightest idea what it is. Its an auto, and the noise is not RPM sensitive. If the truck is in park and I am under the hood pressing the throttle the engine is smooth and sounds great through the entire RPM range. The noise and thumping feel in the gas pedal only happen when I am in drive, going in between those speeds. Any faster or slower and both disappear, in fact I did not notice it until I went on the highway. At first it took awhile to start happening when going those speeds, now it happens almost instantaneously.

#6 ·
i have the same problem, i bought it with 60k now it has like 110k , its a 2wd auto trans,. the little vibration on the gas pedal its like rpm sensitive, i hit the throttle in N and you can hear like the time chain its the problem, the cable of the gas pedal its very short that it transmits that noise-vibration, and more if the gas pedal cable is touching the engine block,. i mean, from the throttle body to the cabin is like 12" long,. will post some pics later..

#7 ·
i have the same problem, i bought it with 60k now it has like 110k , its a 2wd auto trans,. the little vibration on the gas pedal its like rpm sensitive, i hit the throttle in N and you can hear like the time chain its the problem, the cable of the gas pedal its very short that it transmits that noise-vibration, and more if the gas pedal cable is touching the engine block,. i mean, from the throttle body to the cabin is like 12" long,. will post some pics later..
Well the engine in your truck (based on your year) does not use a timing chain, rather a timing BELT. YOur vibration could be anything from an engine mount to a failing distributor bearing, which would cause a bad ignition performance.

Bad U-joints/wheel/transmisson bearings would only cause vibration at speed.

#8 ·
Well the engine in your truck (based on your year) does not use a timing chain, rather a timing BELT. YOur vibration could be anything from an engine mount to a failing distributor bearing, which would cause a bad ignition performance.

Bad U-joints/wheel/transmisson bearings would only cause vibration at speed.
ohps, the noise sounds like a timing chain, so, no timing chain, belts don't sound like that, it's something else i guess, as i said, that has been since i bought it when it had 60k, i don't have a single problem with ignition performance, so really don't know what it is,

thks man.

#9 · (Edited)
Most of the time if there is a vibration or slight shake/noise at 55-65 it is a wheel bearing, but they are elusive and can sound like they are coming from anywhere. I had the oddest problem with my Cobalt SS, I checked the breaks, CV's rotated my tires and had an alignment, before I yanked them out, and they didn't turn hard but when I replaced one, it was instantly better. Might be a long shot, and I can be wrong, but it's worth a try if it saves you $$$, jack the car up in the front and try to wobble the wheels back around, if they move its the bearing, spin them, if they grind lightly or make noise (and its not the breaks) its the bearing. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.