Nissan XTerra Forum banner

starter removal Xterra

28K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Mikeguy2002 
#1 ·
Changing a starter on a 2002 4WD Xterra, Got the 2 mounting bolts out and the battery cable off. How do you get the starter out? Very tight area. tried jacking up the transmission slighty....that helped get the rest of the starter out of the bell housing. What needs removed or taken off to get the old one out and new one installed??:pullout:

#2 ·
It is tight, its about the same move you use to maneuver the t-bar anchor in the cross member of of the cross member with the bar still in the splines.

You sort of go out/up, then back and down again, but turning in the process.

I never jacked the tranny though.

I did run into an undocumented difference in bell housing and starter clocking between the 2001's and 2003's though that made me insane once....the starters are SUPPOSED to be universal....but, if you look at the starter wheel that pops out to engage the flywheel, its centered on one, and offset on the other year's starter....but the bell housings are supposed to be clocked differently to account for it.

IE - If they give you the wrong starter, you can get it in, but it will not catch the flywheel cleanly....I thought they gave me ~ 8 bad starters before I figured it out.

:D

Just throwing that out there in case LATER it becomes relevant.

#3 ·
There is no way that starter is coming out with just prying and turning it. This is a 4WD vehicle. Front axle is in the way and so is the oil pan. I have read a few other forums that said remove engine under cover (whats that?) and then remove starter or remove the splash guard. Obvious a dealer mechanic would know the "short cut" or neccessay procedure. Not my truck...a friends....I'll take my Silverado anytime when it comes to part accessability and servicabilty.

#4 ·
Anyone ever figure out how to wiggle the starter out on 4x4 with manual transmission? Can't imagine having to remove the catalytic converter. Maybe loosing the clutch slave line mount or even remove the slave cylinder?

#5 ·
Ok, Teamster was right...no way that starter is coming out toward the front of the truck.

Figured it out though...
1. Pop off the clip holding the connection of the clutch slave cylinder soft line to the hard line bracket (that's s lot of words :)).
2. Unbolt the 12mm bolt holding h that same bracket (in step 1.) to the frame rail.
3. Pop the hard live free from the frame rail (plastic clips) in 2 places.
4. Unbolt the slave cylinder from the transmission bell housing.

All this allows you to swing away the clutch lives freely, without risk of fracturing them pulling out the starter.

5. Pull the starter toward the front just enough to turn the end that mounts to the transmission UP.
6. Rotate the starter counter clockwise until the solenoid on the starter aligns in the corner between the oil pan and the transmission bell housing and it should be free to slide down safely. Mind the wires on the way out.

Good luck!

#6 ·
Starter comes out with extreme begging, at least on automatic with 4wheel. Just replaced mine but it still won't start. I turn the key & I get one click, nothing else. Lights radio horn - all fine. Lights on turn on the key - no change, stay bright. Now what? Tried jumping it & it doesn't do any different.

#7 ·
What you hear is the solenoid .. The reaction disk is not completing the circuit from the battery to the field coils and out to the brush contacts.
Always start with a good visual inspection. Then a hands on shake down.
A) Check the Ground strap . Are all the bolts tight? Any thing with black pits etc.
B) Check large Pos. cable to starter. Is there 12v at the starter end? Hows the batt. end? Can you do a voltage drop test?.. look it up.
C) Bad starter. Yea this one sucks. It happens way more than it used to. Use jumper cables and a screw driver
to bench test before install.

#8 ·
I too have 2002 X and it is a 4x4 Manual transmission. I unbolted the clutch slave cylinder and let it hang out of the way. that gave me just enough to wiggle the old starter out and the new one in. The starter has to go in an out/up motion then drops down. Remember exactly how the old one ends up coming out and do the reverse to insert the new one. This job took me only about an hour. Do not undo the fluid line on the slave cylinder because then you will have to refill master cylinder and bleed, just let it hang out of the way.

#9 ·
I thought I would chip in on this topic. I was searching the forums before I replaced my starter and didn't find much, maybe I didn't look in the right spot. Either way, I am average to below average for repairs I will admit, but I did tackle this one. So if I can do it, anyone can. If you get the replacement starter that is an exact fit this will work. Getting the old starter out was tough I will admit. There are no hands small enough to make it easy.

After disconnecting the negative on the battery I got started.

I removed the two nuts closest to the front end of the vehicle on the starter first and disconnected the two leads that were on those wires. On the factory starter I believe it was a 12mm and a 13mm. (don't quote me) Why two different sizes on the same part, you got me.

Went to the back of the starter and this is where it got fun. Two 14mm bolts that kept the starter in place are in the most remote places. I managed to get them off with a socket and multiple extensions. After you get those bolts out, you need to disconnect the plastic electrical connection that goes from the starter to the battery. After this is done, you basically wiggle the crap out of the starter until it comes out.

Putting it back in was basically doing everything you did previously in reverse. I have to admit it went in a lot easier than it came out. This was on a first gen 2004 auto 4 wheel drive if anyone was wondering.

Reactions: Paulmarr49
#10 ·
My 02 automatic 4x4 took me about an hour. Removed front passenger wheel, soft splash shield, disconnect battery, disconnect little trigger wire near motor mount, and then just the thick wire and the mounting bolts.

Two minutes of wiggling the oily slimy starter out, then beer break, then instal new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.