Nissan XTerra Forum banner

03 TERRA caliper issue

899 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cbxterra 
#1 ·
I was putting brakes on the TERRA today & the right went good. But the left caliper pistons went about half way in & now will not compress any more. Any info or suggestions? Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
Could be a couple of things.

Try removing the brake reservoir cap and see if it's full. If it is, remove some fluid and try again.

Check for corrosion on the pistons. If they are severely corroded or dirty they won't compress. You may have to replace the caliper if damaged.

How are you compressing them? They may not compress easily. Try using a C clamp and an old pad.

Edit: Similar thread here, but the OP had stuck pins.
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84057

#3 ·
Definitely follow the above advice. But here is my experience for what it's worth:

I rebuilt the passenger side caliper last summer on my '01. Rebuild kits are available at Autozone and eBay. I think it cost $6 (and time) to refurb my caliper. There are YouTube videos on how to rebuild a caliper.

After replacing the guide pins by spraying PB almost hourly for a few days (to the point where that caliper end was submerged in PB.

When I still couldn't slide the assembly back over the rotor I looked at the pistons. There are two pistons. One was free, the other was a bit corroded and stuck. I had to place 2 pieces of leftover maple flooring 3/4" thick each where the pads would go and zip tie it in. I then covered it with a few rags/ old towel and had my daughter pump the breaks until the stuck piston moved. You have to use the hardwood blocks to keep the good piston from popping out and spilling the fluid.

When the stuck piston touched the wood block, I removed one board and pumped the breaks again until they touched the wood. Pulled the last board and finished pushing the pistons.

Make sure you have a bucket under the caliper to catche the brake fluid.

Wrap the caliper with an old towel to catch the pistons and slow them down when they finally break free. When the stuck on finally moved (the free on had been touching the wood for about four pedal pumps) it sounded like a solid framing hammer hit (like two hands, I'm going to break something hit!)

I imagine this would pop a finger clean off! Keep your hands well away and have good communication with your help during this process! It may have been overkill but my 8yr old and I had a conversation like:

Me: Ok press the brake
Her: Pressing.
Me: Ok you're pressing the brake.
Her: All the way down.
Me: Release.
Repeat. We both knew exactly what was going on.

It was good practice for when she helped me bleed the lines once it was all put back together. It was cute, she needed both feet to push the last few times.

Just be safe.

Sorry for the length, good luck!

J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.