Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Project CPR on a 2000 xterra

6K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  HFD1 Tuner 
#1 · (Edited)
bought one for my daughter as a first car....she will be in the shop hands on to help fix it up. She has be hanging out with dad and can spin a wrench. Project is a 2000 xterra 4x4 3.3 v6 168k with a knock/rattle unknown on the noise.I have heard lots of broke parts over the years but this is odd sounding no clue but it needs lots of love. The rear main seal is pouring or a bad leak from backside of motor...it was 2 quarts low...some oil in coolant recovery bottle. but it runs and moves under its own power no check engine lights body is good paint looks good mag wheels are shiny under all the brake dust :) It has been sitting for 3 years in my neigbors driveway it was his sisters car she drove highway to collage not an off roader type Inside needs a good wash leather seats are good power windows all work good...
question1 what is a good head unit? First thing she said what no place for my MP3...oh the horror....
going to pull engine out anyway for a full build top end and new pistons bearings ect I have machine shop so why not...
Question 2 would like to get rid off exhaust mainfold and do a header set up.We have emission test buy pluging into ecm and checking readyness I.E no tailpipe sniffer anyone done this and still keep ecu happy?

#2 ·
Checkout anything Pioneer for the head unit. That is personally my favorite brand. I have been running one in my X for almost 4 years now and I think that its great. It was a technological marvel when it came out, and I'm sure you know how electronics are (if its on a shelf its obsolete), but I find that it is still better than the majority of the headunits on the market.

I have no clue about the headers thing, maybe a 1st gen guy that has to do emissions can help you out on that. I know RacerXXL runs headers on his, but I don't know if he has emissions testing. I have never had to do it in my life thank God.

#3 ·
since your planning on tearing into the engine and you own a machine shop, you might want to look into doing what these guys did. If I need an engine rebuild before my truck rusts and falls apart I might go this direction myself.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...er-part-10-how-to-build-the-nissan-vg30e.aspx

they use an xterra vg33 block with q45 pistons, more power, better gas mileage.

As for headers, there are 2 options, and both can be found on https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/headers-xterra-c-367_266_530.html with the check engine eliminators at the top. if they dont do a visual inspection for cats where you live, you should be good. There is a thread about them in the diy section. You might be able to find the doug thorley headers cheaper on rock auto or other places, but not really sure.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Well it is torn apart to the main parts// engine out transmission out ft diff out and a large freaking mess! ALL exhaust bolts and nut came off with a little PB Blaster very nice! Have a milkshake in the engine oil Lf bank shows signs of coolant in the cat. Touched the heater core line and it crumbled of course. took off from shop and left the engine stand....well tomarrow is a fresh day

#8 ·
Update

seems like 170k with poor maintance takes the toll on the guts. She is worn out the cylinder walls are tapered badly you can see it...the noise is the rod bushings small ends piston pins all wiggly. Have not found the water in the oil part yet got dark on me and will do some more hunting tomarrow

#9 ·
Been cleaning up old plastic moldings and painting them with Fusion satin black coming out ok...paint is not my thing. Suprized my girl she came home from school and saw a yellow rear bumper the plastic bits all black with a safety metal bumper.....Nascar style....yup she hates it! I think it is cool so it stays...old age trumps youth. Found a set of Q45 pistons they should arrive this week. Port work mostly done on the heads need to clean up chambers and apply the threarmal bairrer coating to it and the valve heads, Cams are off to get reground at SchneiderCamshafts....anyone have a set of headers or a cat back system they want to get rid off?

#12 · (Edited)
Well lucky is one way of putting it....Dad likes to bring things back from the dead. I am a long time engine builder and now have some new things to try. Not looking to make this into a Viper killer. The x will do some towing of my race bikes to the track so having some more umph is going to be a good thing. The x has high miles and if I am going to fix it anyway might as well upgrade along the way.
This site has a wealth of knowalage that has helped greatly.

No worries on the tag number it is dead.....

not so blurry...

#13 ·
racing for the year is over (3 regional championships one national)so back to the x..and Carol gets permit next week so she is on me to finish her ride.
The q45 pistons are in block bored and honed they fit nice the heads are ported and valve job done camshafts are back from being profiled next is the valve reliefs in pistons and we should be ready to make a long block

#14 ·
Carol needs to upload some inside shots. Gutted the inside cab down to the sheet metal washed the carpet installed new heater core tubes. Cleaned the evap box and blower fan pine needles and stuff. Upgraded the radio to a Kenwood with new speakers. Leds in dash and the heater control. Now for the fun stuff added side mirror defroster and sequential turn leds That stuff was hard running wires through the rubber tube from cab to door was real fun. It can be done but not for peeps with high blood pressure. Ran wires for rear led light bar. Remote start is next. Lots of paint inside just about ready. Outside painted the dull plastics ft and rear bumpers also painted. New shocks ft brakes rear brakes calipers rebuilt wheel cylinders new. Turned rotors and drums. Slow going had shoulder surgery in Dec. to correct torn labrum and other loose broke stuff. She is going to have a nice rig we sunk some money in it but it should last a good while.

#17 ·
She is a great kid! Big thanks to the Club here it sure has saved me a ton of time. Yup you want heated mirrors and turn signals sure I will be right over:) If you want some info on them I will share the pain. Getting to the rubber tube that runs from the cab to the door is hell Heater box out /roll bar deal out/disconnect the harness feed it back through the door/slice the ends remove 2 pounds of tape/ fish 3 wires add 2 pounds of tape making sure you have the boots in the right spot and pointing in the correct way/ feed the harness back into cab/ this is the suck part you need to feed it into cab hole and turn it so it goes down/up depending on which side and try to grab it and pull without severing all your fingers on the rough sheet metal. If I was to do it again I would pull the doors off with harness. But they work and defrost the mirror good. I just came off the defrost relay as they just add 4 amps total to the system and the factory has a timer built in. The smd led blinkers are not so bright but will serve the driver to remember they are blinking at night they are better. Do not think you would want bright as day blinkers in mirror could defeat the mirror to much. I will load up a you tub shot of them.

#20 ·
So how does the engine feel after the piston upgrades?
And please put up pictures of the finished exterior/interior! I'd LOVE to see.
not done on the engine should make 310-325 depends on the final compression ratio. cams are custom grind for mid to high rpm. This is a street rig/tow. Making plans for the NOS rig:) NO not for Carol Dad gets to play too. Inside should be done this weekend

#21 ·
Looking good. :) Lots of work going on there.
Yup it is a huge mess at the moment. It is like this small victories like yesterday distributor rebuild done/door panels on...remote start wire pile is getting smaller. My shop has been doing a bunch of engine work as of late so I have had little time this week should ease up some no races til next week.

#22 ·
been flooded with shop stuff and had Jury duty. Progress is slow. Have all the wiring done for remote start dash back in waiting on my ecu to return from flashing center console install. Leds all in less headlamps. Should have used the led money on other things but they seem to work better at least it is cleaner light. Ac system repaired with new hose and drier. Now for the fun stuff:
Engine mods are sorted out. Q45 pistons are a easy swap checked piston to valve clearance last night plenty without notching. will net you 9.6:1 being me not good enough so here is what I am doing .017 inches off the deck will get your squish to .040 inches with 10.45:1 with a light mill on the head surface to clean it up. Head gasket is .055 inches. so the pistons need to come out of the hole .015. will need a small set of valve reliefs just to be safe tight spot with my cams are 3 degrees before and after tdc and will be running singh grooves these grooves work to keep knock down! We have tested them on several Harley engines. So final compression will be 10.37:1 could mill the head a tick more but now it is time to start the process of making the engine pile smaller New bearings here and the valve springs (gearhead god willing) will make it here Friday should have a short block this weekend. Coating the pistons Friday night adding a skirt friction coating and a oil/heat sheading coating under the piston. The rods have psi squirters to cool piston so the shedding coating will aid in heat removal. Coating the piston tops with a thermal blocker. The goal is to keep the piston cooler so knock is less likely to happen. The block is going to be painted with the thermal shedding paint too inside and out. Painting the intake as well. New radiator will be painted as well. This stuff does aid in thermal transfer. Works very good on rads. Should be able to load up some pics during the build up.

#23 ·
stinky monkey ..lls

Crap! Just found a huge crack in my rt. cylinder head! I can not believe it I missed it and 3 other sets of eyeballs missed it. SOM bitty balls....all ported polished final surface cut matched cc chambers valve job Sinth grooved ready to do final assy looked at the cam tower and there it was crack all the way to the allen plug,,,,silver lining found the cause of the milkshake and did not repeat it again... But crap have a ton of work in the head ok rant over back to regular programing:)
So I start over but just need to cut the seats and surface cut it few hours of port work. Hard work was coming to the end cut for the chamber volume to match what I needed for the compression ratio. Getting close to making smoke with this ECU back from Jet Carol put the rest of the inside of the x all back together. She is going to be bummed....:(

#25 ·
Tore the trans apart to find a very clean non damaged unit Hey something not worn out or broken not sure how to act:) Going to freshen up the rings & seals and rubber bits. Give it a good bath new converter call it good to go. I have more pictures will try to upload them in the AM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.