Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Late response transmission

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  EliStu 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've owned my 2000 Xterra for a year now. I love the car, it's been doing really well even with 240k miles on it. Since I bought it, it had this issue of a lack of response when shifting into 1st gear in cold weather. In other words, when I would start the car in the morning, I can reverse out of the driveway no problem, but when I shift into drive, I have to either sit and wait 10-20 seconds for it to shift in and start driving, or shift down to 1st myself and start driving.

In the last few weeks, though, this has started happening daily, so it's no longer cold-weather related. I've checked the transmission fluid, it's full and pink.

I should say that once the car (and the transmission) warms up, after a few minutes of driving, this does not happen anymore. So, if I stop at the stoplight, it starts fine. It just happens when the car is cold.

I am a student and can't afford expensive repairs, so I was hoping for some help and suggestions as to what to check.

Thanks!

#2 ·
thats a strange one . but you figured it out to by pass it by warming your car up first :D

I really dont know why its doing that .. it doesnt hurt to warm up ur car for few mins before taking off tho ( which i do every morning )

hope other with much more experience with chim in

#5 ·
I have had a code check at O'Reily's and it comes back with knock sensor and O2 sensor needing replacement, and that's it (I had this done as my check engine light turned on). I am unsure whether I should ask for specific codes for transmission.

Thanks!

#8 ·
Yes and there could be trash in the pan . If this was mine truck i would pull the pan change the filter and valve body and add new oil. These are all easy things that anyone can do with basic shop tools.It probable has a sticky valve in the valve body from trash in the pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.