Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Custom aluminum front bumper - pics incl'd

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MikasMinion 
#1 ·
So, after mulling it over for a year or so, I decided to have an aluminum front bumper made. I really wanted to save weight, especially on the front end, since the 1st Gen X is so underpowered to start with. Also, my build is themed as an efficient expedition rig, not a "hard core" 4x4. That's not to say that I can't drive it into sticky places, but I'm not out there every weekend "trying" to get it stuck or damaged.

A local 4x4 fab shop has a great reputation in the 'Yota world, but had never done an Xterra mod. They scheduled me in, and in 4 days were able to make a complete proto in steel (probably gathering dust on their shelf), cut all the Al parts on their CNC table, and weld it together.

My specs were: Aluminum, 1/4" plate main construction, winch-ready, extra holes in frame OK, fog holes with tabs, front recovery points, top tubing, lots of gusseting, and bed-liner spray finish.

Needless to say, they delivered. I drove it home, and installed a Warn M8000 with synthetic line. All of the holes for the winch and fairlead were perfect. The bumper without the winch weighed approximately 46lbs. Welding/penetration looks great. They used the two factory holes and added two more with large plate washers.

It was not cheap at ~$1300 total out the door (before the winch), but I wanted light......

I've had it out 3-4 times since, but have not found anyone to pull out yet.
I'm sure this winter that will change.

Here are some photos. The guys that did the work are here: http://www.relentlessfabrication.us/

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.