Nissan XTerra Forum banner

33's?

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Akuria 
#1 ·
so ive had a hard time finding an aftermarket steel rim to mount 33's on with the stock backspace. im looking at 33x11.5x15 tires. can i mount these on my stock 15x7 rims? tire shops says they wont arranty. should i expect to pop beads alot? should i just run the 33x10.5" tires? would like a little wider track but can deal with smaller. how much trimming would be expected between the two with a 2" BL? some offroad but nothing MAJOR. thnx guys.\

ps: wouldnt have made a thread if i got a response in the wheel/tire thread. hope you guys can help.

#2 ·
Will be just fine.
Guys even run 33/12.5 on stock rims with zero issue.

#6 ·
My next set will be 33/12.5

#11 ·
Check out my build for what 12.5" look like on 7" wide stock wheels. It's not bad, just need to find an independent shop that's willing to mount them. I like the bulge as it protects the wheel. These 12.5s have an actual tread width of 10". 285s have an actual width of 9.1". So it's not so dramatic.

#12 ·
So here is my question, and sorry for the thread jack.
2001 4x4 XE on stock rims, BFG A/T's 32x11.5x15 with 7,000 miles on them.
I ovrehauled the front end. All new Moog: upper/lower control arm bushings and ball joints. new inner and outter Moog TRE's. Grasslinks 4x4 Centerlink, and a Bilstein Steering Stabilizer.

Why am I getting rubbing at full steering lock on the rear of the leading fron tire? Example: Hard left: The front left tire, the inside portion. Rear part of the tire rubs against the rear portion of the lower control arm where the torsion bar mount attaches.

Thoughts?

#14 ·
I ditched my stock wheels because my 265/75/16s ( basically 32x11.50s) rubbed the lower control arms at full lock. These guys are right, a simple adjustment of the steering stops will fix your issues. Me personally, I took it as an excuse to get new wheels lol

#16 · (Edited)
so with the 12.5" 33s and my 2" BL what am i gonna have to trim? im told with teh stock rims its just the rear lower mud flap mounts on the front?
Yeah, that's pretty much it. The diameter is the most important part, on 1st gens, you can go pretty wide on stock rims w/o added problems.

Its really an easy thing once you get the tires on, we're talking about soft plastic that you can cut off with a swiss army knife/scissors etc, not something you need a degree in engineering and a fab shop for.

:D

Essentially, you mount the tires, and turn the steering wheel...and you'll see the rear of the tire swing past the little ledge the lower mud flaps used to mount to (Cut off that little ledge).

In front, sometimes, the front of the tire swings through a little plastic part of the lower fairing that sticks into the wheel well, and, if needed, snip off whatever bit hits there.

You have 4 turn stop bolts, and, you turn them out a few threads to make the stops hit a little sooner at full lock...and that solves the rest of the rub issues.

Every one's rig is a wee bit different, so there's no perfect pattern to trace and cut with, etc.

It so easy to DO the little bit of trimming though, its not worth over thinking it.

>:D

Example: This is my 2004 X I just started modding. Its got 33x12./16 tires on it (BFG MT2), om stock rims, and no SL, no PML, JUST a BL. The tires don't rub on turns, or bumps, etc, and, they are wearing evenly, etc.

This shows one of the 4 turn stop bolts (They all look the same...) turned out to where needed.

This is what I trimmed off. I spent damn near 45 seconds with a pocket knife on this, and there's now plenty of room. It LOOKS like I could have left more plastic, but, I know that off road, when the suspension is fully stuffed on turns, I'll use that added room then.

Does that give some perspective on what you're doing?

#19 ·
I think there's a 3" body lift on that one so you might have to trim more.
I do remember reading that TJ put a 3" BL on his so he can stuff 35s down the road.

You won't have any issues though putting 33s on with a 2" BL. Do the lift put the tires on and go full lock in both directions and see what needs to be trimmed and trim it. also adjust your turn stops as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.