Nissan XTerra Forum banner

01x Rear seat removal

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ben Pedersen 
#1 ·
Has anyone had to remove their rear seats? I am thinking about pulling out my bench seat and replacing it with bucket seats. So fare I haven't found any information or pictures of anyone doing this.

#2 ·
Hopefully someone with more fab skills will answer you, but here's my thoughts. I'd grab a seat like you're thinking of, then just pop the seat bottom out of the X. Then you're looking at the floor and what you need to do to fit it. As for the backs I never looked at how they come out.I suspect there's welding in your future.

#3 ·
I am quite certain that there will be a lot of fab work involved. I am ok with that. I have a brand new Lincoln Pro-Mig 180 and hood that I need to break in. It won't be started for a while because I am working in Kuwait right now. I am buying materials for all of the mods that I keep thinking about doing. I am buying a plasma cutter in a couple of days :D

#4 ·
A difficult challenge for sure. The rear seats sit much high than the fronts and below the rear seats is the gas tank so not much floor strength there to mount buckets. Curious why you are interested in doing that? It would be hard to retain the ease of popping the lower seats out and folding the bench down for increased storage by going with buckets.

#5 ·
I have a couple of reasons for wanting to put buckets in the back:
1. I want to pull the bench out and put in buckets so that I can, if there is room, fabricate a cooler type box to fit between the seats. I have already designed a new console to replace the front console.
2. I like buckets
3. I have never seen it done before.
4. I like to fab things.

As for laying the seats down for room; I have never put them down. I plan to fab another metal box that will reach from side to side and bolt it to the floor directly behind the seats. That's where tow straps and such will live. I also intend on fabing my a roof rack, a rear bumper that also relocates the spare tire and a front bumper with a wen...er winch. ( I don't think the wife will go for having a beer wench). I also plan to pull the carpet and do a bed liner on the floor and reupholster the seats in marine vinyl. I want to be able to wash it out a bit more easily. There is a plan for lifts and tires and performance mods and all that stuff too. When I get home and start doing work I'll start a build thread. I am still coming up with ideas, my head is full of stuff. Some if it has already made it to paper.

I have had my X for 3 or 4 years. It is no longer on duty status, it is now on toy status. Let the games begin :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.