Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Decreasing MPH @ 39K????

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Farleyjc 
#1 · (Edited)
Decreasing MPG @ 39K????

Hello,

I have a 2005 X-Terra and have been noticing decreasing mpg in the recent months. I normally got close to 18 mpg and now am getting about 16 mph. Driving habits are the same.

I admit that the truck has been gas and go with minimum maintenance (change oil, wipers, belts...) and my first thought was the spark plugs may be due to be replaced. However, looking at the maintenance schedule, they do not get replaced until after 100K.

Any ideas on why the mpg has fallen?

PS. Thanks again to all the forum who recommended E-Trailer and gave me advice on installing a trailer hitch and wiring harness. BTW, E-Trailer matched a lower price AND gave me free shipping for the harness in accordance with their "price match pledge".

#4 ·
It sounds like Winter Gas to me. I can't see your location because I am on my iPhone right now, but I would bet that is it. Check your tire pressures as well. 16mpg still isn't bad at all. That's pretty good for the size of the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
It sounds like Winter Gas to me. I can't see your location because I am on my iPhone right now, but I would bet that is it. Check your tire pressures as well. 16mpg still isn't bad at all. That's pretty good for the size of the truck.

THANKS!

Yes, I suppose winter could have something to do with it. I am in Prescott, AZ. which is North Central AZ and we are at 5,000 feet. It gets cold and snows on occasion. I have had to add air to my tires 2x so far this winter...about 4 pounds each time. Four pounds seems to be when the sensor alarm goes off.

Question: Is there much difference in air pressure early in the morning as opposed to late afternoon? In the winter there is about a 25-30 degree temp. difference.

#6 ·
There shouldn't be a big enough difference to matter on that. Just be sure to fill the tires to the proper pressure when they are cold. It's impossible to keep them perfect unless you have a full time pit crew. Also, not sure if you know this but a large difference in pressures can also throw the light, even if the highest pressure and lowest pressure are both within the acceptable parameters.

Go ahead and average your mileage until spring. When summer gas comes back out (March or April) and you are still getting the same mileage, it may prove you have an issue, either in your foot or the truck. :)

#7 ·
There can be. Assuming the morning temperature is freezing (32*F), and you have 35psi in a 32x8 tire with a 16" rim, after a 30 degree rise, you'll end the day with a tire filled to 37psi. This is only ambient temps here, so if the vehicle is driven, then there will be additional pressure changes.

#8 ·
On my 05 I definitely saw a hit in my fuel economy with the winter gas here in Tucson. Though there are a lot of factors that can contribute to low fuel economy. I'd say 16 is right where it should be for this time of year though if it's mostly stock. I get worse because of beefier tires and a lead lined foot :biggrin:

Have you tracked gas usage from years past?

#9 ·
Have you changed your air filter regularly? I don't know how big a factor it truly is, but all the regular maintenance can't hurt. Dirty filters impede flow. Changing the oils, all of them, can help too, sludgy oil takes more effort to slarsh around.

Up until I put on my Duratrac's I was flirting with the 20mpg line at times, averaging 18.55 overall. Of course my X is newer so going to have less diminishing returns overall, and I don't know how much extra weight your packing in mods, if any.

A good old tune up and general maintenance might bump you back up where you are used to, and that is just good stuff to do anyway so you won't be doing any harm trying.

#10 ·
On my 05 I definitely saw a hit in my fuel economy with the winter gas here in Tucson. Though there are a lot of factors that can contribute to low fuel economy. I'd say 16 is right where it should be for this time of year though if it's mostly stock. I get worse because of beefier tires and a lead lined foot :biggrin:

Have you tracked gas usage from years past?

I don't need to track it. I have a 2005 SE and the odometer has a gadget with several settings and one of them tells me the current mpg as you are driving. This is my 3rd winter in Prescott, AZ. and the lowest the MPG has ever been.

As far as maintenance goes, I follow the schedule at a minimum and replace the air filter more than needed.

#11 ·
I don't need to track it. I have a 2005 SE and the odometer has a gadget with several settings and one of them tells me the current mpg as you are driving. This is my 3rd winter in Prescott, AZ. and the lowest the MPG has ever been.

As far as maintenance goes, I follow the schedule at a minimum and replace the air filter more than needed.
That meter has been known to be inaccurate, just like every other one of those meters on every other vehicle. Instead calculate it yourself.

#13 ·
Check it over a few tanks and report back here. I would be willing to bet that it is the winter gas provided that you have properly kept up with all maintenance like you say you have.

#14 ·
Check it over a few tanks and report back here. I would be willing to bet that it is the winter gas provided that you have properly kept up with all maintenance like you say you have.
Thanks Ryan, will do. I used to calculate every 3rd or 4th tank full and found that the instrumentation was indeed very accurate on the mpg. I will fill up in the next few days and will runat least 1/2 tank before filing up again.

As far as maintenance, not a lot to do. I have less than 40K on the truck and the manual does not call for plugs until 105K. The air filter is very clean. My test is to hold the filter up and look through it. If I cannot see "significant" light, I replace it.

#15 ·
I don't think I saw where you lived. If you could state that it would be awesome. The best test is to run some ethanol free for a few tanks and get your average off of that. If it is normal, then your truck is fine and just dislikes gas with ethanol in it. I thought my truck having issues, then I just realized it was the fuel. I try to fill up at the stations that use ethanol as little as possible.

#19 ·
Ok, here is the latest.

I was unable to find a supply of gasoline without ethanol in my area. The place I filled up (Fry's grocery) has a sign on the pump that says up to 10% of gas may be ethanol. After doing the math on driving 275.4 miles and needing 16.650 gallons of gas, I am getting 16.54054 MPG, a drop of about 1.5 MPG.

No biggie I know, but I have also improved my driving habits in recent times. I try and not do rabbit starts and do easy stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.