Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Coax cable interference

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bfabian 
#1 ·
I've read thru some of the cb posts trying to find out the best way to run the coax cable. I understand the fuel pump interferes with it so how do I avoid it? Can I just run the cable down the passenger side? Are there any other interferences I should be avoiding?

#2 ·
I ran mine from under the drivers seat, down the drivers side under the carpet and behind the trim and brought it outside through the grommet behind the drivers side taillight. I've had no problems with this route. I've only run this one so I don't have any knowledge of the affects if going the passenger side route.

#6 ·
You really don't want to use 75 ohm coax for cb. CB is very low frequency (27 Mhz) so signal loss is not an issue. RG6 is appropriate for higher frequencies like cable TV and satellite where the frequencies can be as high as 2 Ghz and the signal loss in coax is very significant. The only time that 75 ohm coax is used for cb is in fabricating a co-phase antenna system where you have two antennas in parallel. RG6 will work in practice but the impedance mismatch will cause it to radiate RF all along the feedline instead of just at the antenna. Not a good thing in an automobile loaded with sensitive electronics (air bags and sensors, ECU, etc). Again we're talking about RG58 not RG59. If you wanted to use a better quality coax for cb you could use RG8-mini though at 27 MHz and a maximum power of 5 watts it really won't provide any significant benefit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.