Nissan XTerra Forum banner

wont crank!

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  beezl80 
#1 ·
ok so went to go drive to store and wouldnt you know it? i put key in everything seemed fine radio,lights, ect ect came on but turn to start it it does absolutely nothing no click just off with the dash lights and thats it help

#3 ·
battery is fairly new optima yellowtop new terminals when i replaced battery also put anti corrode on it cables and terminals look very clean the radio works fine all lights came on fine and if i listen carefully i hear an electrical buzz when i try to crank it its under the hood it sounds like a solenoid noise to me cant tell in cab for sure though

#6 ·
got it fixed starter was f'd up bad the bushings were toasted nice and crispy horrible looking oem starter 12years and 147,800 miles on starter and car it made it a good long time car is fine now with new starter

#7 ·
ive got the exact same issue. mine will crank with a slight hesitation like it doesnt have much power and start up, but twice today it didnt do a thing when i turned the key.

i turned the key and it didnt even try to crank and the dash was all lit up just fine with the radio on so i had plenty of power. my battery is only a few months old and the cables are corrosion free and fastened night and tight.

i held the key in 'on' position for a moment then i smelled a bit of smoke so i turned it off and popped the hood. i didnt see any smoke or anything and couldnt pin point where the issue may be so i closed the hood, got back in, turned the key and it started right up.

Its been starting rough for about 75% of the time over the past week but once running, it rides just fine. no engine issues at all.

Is this my starter going out? You said you put a new one on yours and it solved the problem. I bought the my X (2003 V^ 3.3L Automatic) used and now im at about 125k on it, and have no idea if the starter has even been replaced. (probably not)

If it is the starter, how can I be sure? Get it tested or something? and where is the starter located?? Ive seen a few threads about other years and it seems its on the passenger side near the inside of the wheel well, but i cant see mine.

Please send any helpful info. My X is sitting parked til I can figure this out. No way im getting stranded somewhere in 106 degree Texas heat...

MANY thanks in advance.

#8 ·
So im in the process of removing the starter.

As you can see it looks like the original and is pretty filthy from a heater core hose leak i had been dealing with. (fixed now)

Ive got the power wire disconnected on the starter and need to unbolt it.

Are these the 3 bolts I need to remove to get it out?

The bolt that connects to the starter, then the two bolts on the outside where the arrows are pointing?? (see image below)

I attempted to loosen the bottom bolt and i had a tiny amount of coolant drip out so im unsure if those are the correct bolts.

OR are they different bolts that I just cannot locate?

I did see this bolt on the lower inside of the starter, but did not/could not see or feel any similar bolt on the top of the starter. (see image below)

I know where to get a new starter and once this old one is out, should be able to reconnect as i disconnected but want to make sure im removing the correct bolts.

Please help! the job is underway!

THANKS a million

#9 ·
Yes, it's just the two bolts. I had to do mine this past December. In the dark haha :).

#10 ·
Here's a little more on whats going on. i shot a quick video so everyone can somewhat see/hear the issue.

http://youtu.be/GXZWFfW_dhc

As you can kind of hear, there is a hesitation like it's going to try to start, then a slight whine, and then nothing. Still no clicking, it just doesnt want to turn. Its sounds like when something is jammed and is trying to spin but cant.

Although, when i started it earlier a few times after taking a look at what i needed to do to replace it, it would start up slowly but it would start. As it did when I first got in the car to go for a spin. When I went on my drive, I didnt turn it off so I basically just had it running for like 15 minutes then as soon as I parked at home, I tried starting it back up and it did this.

Its done this now 3 times after short trips. But once its sitting for awhile, it will start. i could probably go outside right now and it would crank up. well, hopefully.

Is this really the starter? it sounds like a power issue but i dont think anything else is wearing. My battery and the battery terminal connectors are fairly new, all of which i inspected today as well. alternator doesnt seem to be a factor, since my battery is going strong all while this issue has been occurring. (about a week)

Im definitely getting that starter replaced, as that is probably the issue. Just wonder if there is anything else it could be due to such random symptoms.

#11 ·
Well, i tried to crank it again just to see if it would start up after sitting for awhile and now it doesnt do anything.

Doesnt even try to start. when i turn the key, i can hear the alternator or battery or whatever power source, buzzing like its giving the starter power but it doesnt even try to crank.

i guess the starter has finally bit the dust? still got plenty of battery power and the dash lights up full blast as normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.