Nissan XTerra Forum banner

New to Nissan! Seeking advice !

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Newtonissan02 
#1 ·
Hey guys ! Just gonna start by saying I am newer to Nissans , I usually buy gm , but this 2002 Nissan Xterra supercharged I found for a reasonable price , I just had to buy it ! So I bought it knowing it was running a bit rough , NOT all the time . So I pulled the codes out and I'm seeing a po300 and a p0325 , now , I realize that the knock sensors are are a pain to do but possibly could the misfire be setting the knock sensor code? I've pulled a plug , there worn , and checked the cap and rotor and they have oxidation. And what are the BEST plugs to run ive read NGK but I wanted to talk to some experts !
Thanks in advance !

#2 ·
Honestly it doesnt matter as for wires but plugs ive heard goods and bads about. Personally when i did my tune up i got bosch everything. Cap rotor wires and the bosch platinum plugs. It was like 50 bucks for everything. And i have now put 20k miles on all of it. Now One thing i will say is they are supposed to be pregapped. for a while my truck just seemed a little off and after pulling a few plugs i found that the gap was out on most of them and setting them to specs fixed that all together. I highly highly recommend doing the distributor rebuild since it is misfiring and its common for the bearing inside the distributor to fail. Here is a link
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22116 Theres a few quirks about working on the x to mainly being space everything it pretty straight foward though. Most gm vehicles ive worked on have made me wonder if they got drunk in the midst of design if youve worked on a chevy colorado youl be faithful for the xterra lol.

#3 ·
Also welcome to Club x!!! Youl love that nissan though. Mines pushing 186k now going strong and its been through alot. 40k hard miles from me. 140k from previous owner pulling boats and using it as his woods truck and snow which surprisingly there is 0 rust. And after i get my new timing belt put on ill be pushing another 100k with it.

#4 ·
Welcome, and to check if your dizzy needs to be fixed, check for red dust under the rotor, that's a sign the bearing is going, then do a tune up and clean every electrical connection and add dielectric grease to keep them free of corrosion and water, that way you can rule out a bad connection...but good luck and keep us posted

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

#5 ·
Ok guys so I've changed plugs wires and cap and rotor still getting a random misfire , the distributor looks o.e. But once I bring the rpms up the misfire stops ? I got all quality stuff and made sure to gap the plugs properly. Knock sensor code still there but I'm not too concerned about that right now just wana get it running right ! Thanks guys

#6 ·
Distributor bearing. Or maf sensor. Also check that the intake hose doesnt have any cracks at all. Mine had a problem because i did the resonator delete and didnt seal the hole up for the resonator the proper way. the ks may very well be related to the misfiring. Just change the bearing its like 8 bucks or something like that and tell us how that works. It is very common when that bearing goes bad to cause problems like this.

#7 ·
Update : tryed drive the truck to work , started to spit and spudder, exhaust started smoking pretty good so I pulled over and get it towed the rest of the way . So I've pulled the codes , codes are camshaft position sensor p0325 p0300 , so now I'm leaning towards a dizzy , just gonna order a new one ... 500 later .... Wow that hurts a bit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.