Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Trying to replace in Cabin Air Filter

44K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  MeToo 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just tried to replace the in-cabin air filters for the cooling unit of my X. Unfortunately the model I have installed doesn't seem to be the "default" one.

I bought it online here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan...-frontier-xterra-p-380.html?cPath=532_22_522&

When I cut the plastic of my cooling unit following the instructions, I wasn't able to insert the new filters as inside the box there is no space for this. It is weird as the exterior of the box looks just as the instructions online.

I found out the model of my cooling unit is 27270-9Z001 from Calsonic. But I couldn't find any info with this.

I'm attaching some pictures in case someone around has been there before.

Many thanks,
David

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Whoa whoa you should not have cut up anything! We have a how to on this job that you can look up. Look into that thread and see if it can still make it work
Actually not true. Early Xterra's, like mine, did not come with in cabin microfilters but can be retrofit by following the Nissan directions that come with the filters.

They are hard to install on the retrofit installations. You just need to make sure it is properly and smoothly trimmed and take your time with the fitment.

#4 ·
Yea, those early Xterras were a pain to cut correctly. Probably need some trimming.

#7 ·
Hi guys,

You are right about the cutting and trimming. The documentation says that if it was never done before you would have to cut it.

My problem is that within the unit box there are some pipes. I am starting to wonder if the previous owner had the unit "repaired" instead of replaced. So maybe some guys just added stuff in there as no one seems to have had this problem.

Any idea let me know.

#8 ·
Hi guys,

You are right about the cutting and trimming. The documentation says that if it was never done before you would have to cut it.

My problem is that within the unit box there are some pipes. I am starting to wonder if the previous owner had the unit "repaired" instead of replaced. So maybe some guys just added stuff in there as no one seems to have had this problem.

Any idea let me know.
Totally missed that on the first look. :aufkopfhauen-big:I don't recall those when I did mine and I can see where they would be a problem.

#11 ·
My local auto parts store has them for $21.99. Guess I'll be doing them on Tuesday. LOL My weekends are you guy's Wed/Thurs.

#12 ·
I Just discover that post. So I order the filter from Amazon all I needed was a kitchen knife with tooths and 10 min. after everything was in place.
What amazed me was the fit of that filter was just perfect.
Thank you everyone for your ideas.
By the way I got a 2001 Xterra SE. Thanks again

#13 ·
I'm having a world of trouble with my 2000 SE a/c. Looking in the evaporator housing, I notice what looks like RODENT HAIR on the blower side of the evap core! I doubt that's the issue, but I don't need any encouragement to clean that out of there on GP.

I read that the in-cabin filter will prevent things like that getting to the evap core and decided I'd see what experience you've had with the installation. As noted, the 2000 didn't come with the filter from the factory, and it's a retro-fit. FYI, that's the expansion valve and evaporator core lines you see that look like they might block the filter. They're not added parts, at least not on my 2000.

Did any of you 2000/01 owners have the expansion valve located there and manage to install the filter anyway? Don't want to go cutting the housing if this isn't going to work anyway. If so, what was the Nissan p/n of the kit you used? I have B7200-3S500. The installation instructions show a housing different than the one in my X, manufactured 04/2000.

Thanks.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm having a world of trouble with my 2000 SE a/c. Looking in the evaporator housing, I notice what looks like RODENT HAIR on the blower side of the evap core! I doubt that's the issue, but I don't need any encouragement to clean that out of there on GP.

I read that the in-cabin filter will prevent things like that getting to the evap core and decided I'd see what experience you've had with the installation. As noted, the 2000 didn't come with the filter from the factory, and it's a retro-fit. FYI, that's the expansion valve and evaporator core lines you see that look like they might block the filter. They're not added parts, at least not on my 2000.

Did any of you 2000/01 owners have the expansion valve located there and manage to install the filter anyway? Don't want to go cutting the housing if this isn't going to work anyway. If so, what was the Nissan p/n of the kit you used? I have B7200-3S500. The installation instructions show a housing different than the one in my X, manufactured 04/2000.

Thanks.
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=908

There are two "boxes"...and, the "right box" is on the left....and the filters go over/under on the right of the left box (see pics in thread)

Some people are opening the wrong box/wrong side of the correct box, it seems.

See above thread to be sure you're in the right box....and/or in the right PLACE in the right box.

As Nissan has, historically, made some rolling changes in small details here and there over the years...its possible the boxes are a little off, and, the slot might need to be a bit to the right of where it ended up in rigs that didn't come with the cabin filter option....so you'd need to dremmel/cut the slots over a bit to make them work, etc.

If the box's slot TRACKS are not there though, well, you might have to order an air box meant for a 2001 or later, etc...to be sure to get one that would work....or open it up and see if you can re-locate the stuff in the way.

>:D

#15 ·
I found your thread after I posted the question. Took my laptop to the X for a comparison. I have the same housing. I see the guides for the filters, and they're just to the left of the TXV. Should fit in there easily. Since I'm changing the TXV this weekend (aarhg), I'll do a proper cleanup and install.

I've loved my red Xtreme since the minute I saw it, but the annual a/c dance wearies me.

Thanks, TJ, you're the guru.

#16 · (Edited)
I just performed this modification too. I was confused by the original post because of the image of the TXV being in the way, but I have the same box (same part number and manufacturer) and decided to give it a go anyway. The TXV was positioned off to the right-hand side of where the filters slide in, so don't worry about those being in the way. Nissan would not change the position of those, relative to the air filters in one model year and not all the rest. :) The filters slide in just fine still. It may have just been the angle of the camera lens, causing concern about filters hitting the TXV.

I had to blow out the air filter box with my air compressor and vacuum up all the mess. There was a lot in there! :)

Here are a few pictures of the process to help. Note, the tabs on the new filters are in the "down" position when installed, for correct air flow from left-to-right (while looking directly at the air filter box from inside the cabin). Only one of my filters was labeled, indicating proper airflow. Also, I've included a photo of the instructions that came with my aftermarket filters from Amazon. I found the instructions "after" I completed the procedure. :)

Also, since my vehicle was not originally equipped with the removable filters, I do not have the "clip" to hold them in. :) My new filters did not come with them. :) I might have to contact the dealership. :(

(NOTE: Sorry for the rotated pictures. The forum software keeps rotating them automatically. Anyone know how to address this?)

Attachments

#17 ·
Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

#18 ·
LOL. Came by this thread yesterday, after I had come back up from spending 45 minutes pulling off panels, and cutting out blanks from the air box. Good to know I had the right idea, and I wasn't the only one.

Just goes to show, you should always check the internets before getting started, even on something seemingly simple like filter replacements.

#19 ·
Hi all,

I just tried to replace the in-cabin air filters for the cooling unit of my X. Unfortunately the model I have installed doesn't seem to be the "default" one.

I bought it online here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan...-frontier-xterra-p-380.html?cPath=532_22_522&

When I cut the plastic of my cooling unit following the instructions, I wasn't able to insert the new filters as inside the box there is no space for this. It is weird as the exterior of the box looks just as the instructions online.

I found out the model of my cooling unit is 27270-9Z001 from Calsonic. But I couldn't find any info with this.

I'm attaching some pictures in case someone around has been there before.

Many thanks,
David
So Nissan didn’t put cabin filters in the early models like my 2000 Xterra? I have filters what’s the best way to cut out the punch out spot

#20 ·
Pull the glove box, then take a sharp knife. I did my 2001 and it was simpler than my 2011 Chevy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.