Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Adding a Separate Low Gear

7K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Tenzen 
#1 ·
So I would like to know if anyone has done this or knows if its possible.

Would it be possible by just Regearing your existing transmission or would you need a special Low Gear Transmission?

For anyone who has never driven a truck with a low gear, they have more low-end torque than anything on the road..

I think it would be a perfect, almost essential, mod for any off-road rock climbers.

I've seen youtube videos of competitions between like the jeep Rubicon and other off-road vehicle going up super steep hills. And only the Rubicon made it and the other vehicles lost power before they got up it and had to stop.

I can't help but kind of laugh at that because my 2wd GMC Railroad pickup could have climbed right up it without batting an eye.. It'd be yanked up..

But that's the remarkable power of having a dedicated super low gear

I think people ooh and aah over the Rubicons transfer case gearing and credit that for its remarkable crawling power. But you get the exact same power from a L gear in your transmission. Like walk-beside power..

Just wondering why people into rock-climbing don't do that.

Is it just a railroad secret?

See less See more
#30 ·
5.13 is as high as you can get in our diffs I believe.

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.