Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Xterra 2.4l 4x4 conversion?

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cbxterra 
#1 ·
Currently have a 2003 Xterra 2.4l 5 speed, so has the ka24de engine. Absolutely love the car and engine, yet really wish it was 4x4. I understand that there was no 4x4 tranny made for this engine; however, what about the 2.4l hardbody trucks? Could i pick up one of those transmissions and make something work? Assume money is no issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Cool! I didn't know they came in 4x4 4cyl! If they share the same bolt pattern for the trans, then why not? You'll need the t-case too, probably one that came on the 4cyl 4x4 model as well, no clue if the V6 t-case uses the same pattern. And the WD22 Xterra is based on the WD21 platform. There may be some fab involved, but it might not be that bad. I would way the hard part is doing the 4x4 front end conversion, and the only thing questionable is if the trans will bolt up to your newer 2.4. Would make things worlds easier if you go 5-speed rather then auto.

Might be worth a look into

#3 ·
Cool! I didn't know they came in 4x4 4cyl! If they share the same bolt pattern for the trans, then why not? You'll need the t-case too, probably one that came on the 4cyl 4x4 model as well, no clue if the V6 t-case uses the same pattern. And the WD22 Xterra is based on the WD21 platform. There may be some fab involved, but it might not be that bad. I would way the hard part is doing the 4x4 front end conversion, and the only thing questionable is if the trans will bolt up to your newer 2.4. Would make things worlds easier if you go 5-speed rather then auto.

Might be worth a look into
Oh I would absolutely go 5 speed haha but thanks for the advice Imma look into it! If I can find all the components for a relatively cheap price then it sounds like a fun project

#4 ·
Just throwing this out there as it looks like a thread that has been on here for a couple of months. You got to consider how much power your motor is pushing the 2.4L 4 banger Xterra motor is pushing I believe around 140hp stock. If the 4x4 conversion is too much weight the little motor will struggle to make the Xterra move which will make it very difficult to go off road unless you're somewhere that is flat for miles and miles on end and it will cause more fuel consumption. Me personally, I would do some add-ons to give the little motor some more power if you are going to do some off roading anywhere that isn't the great plains. Also take into consideration, is the transmission capable of being matted with the KA24DE. If it is, will it clear the transmission tunnel and fit without any problems. I'm probably forgetting some other things to consider, but do a lot of research. Ive been trying to figure a way to do a 4x4 conversion for about 4 years now, and I too own a Xterra with a KA24DE motor as well. You might even check out the Frontiers as I know they share a lot of parts with the Xterra's too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.