Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1st gen oil dip stick

20K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  J_ODIE 
#1 ·
so am i the only one who hates the wired oil dip stick on the first gen x? i hate mine i swear every time i check all 4 sides are never the same. does anyone have any possible solution to this? maybe a normal flat ones from other nissans if they have that kind. that or im tired and wanted to complain cause im still pissed about my neighbor smashing my womens car last night with his big ass f250. shit happens i guess. i feel better now that i go that off my chest!

#2 ·
What in the world are you talking about?

#4 ·
Yea, that dipstick sucks and it's not much better on the Gen II's. I go by the edge that sits highest due to the angled slant that it sits at while inserted into the tube.

#8 ·
i totally agree, my dipstick got bent at some point too, so it is prety much impossible to get it in on the first try.
i stil cant figure out how to read mine either.

#10 ·
i totally agree, my dipstick got bent at some point too, so it is prety much impossible to get it in on the first try.
QUOTE]

this just sounds so wrong in so many ways....
:engel-big:

Reactions: 01xterra01
#11 ·
yeah, they are some shit, whoever designed that dip stick needs a kick in the balls lol. i can still read mine good but, sounds so wrong, its does flop around on you causing oil drippage on the engine, then its a SOB putting back in the tube.

#15 ·
What he is talking about is:

This is a NORMAL dip stick:

On the first generation X's, they dont have a NORMAL dipstick. Its a bunch of wires instead of being flat (like the one in the pic.) So when you go to check your oil, you cant tell... or its hard to tell where your oil actually sits, and not to mention its a pain in the ass getting it back in. It bends and you have to grab it and wiggle it and crap to get it in.... I hate them too. Nissan didnt do a good job making a better dipstick. Haha

Heres a pic of my first gen. dipstick:

#16 ·
Yeah I hate my dipstick, it just wobbles and I just cant get it to aim straight into the tube...too bendy or something....
dang stevin, that doesnt sound like something you should post up for the world to read!

#22 ·
I know this is VERY old but I agree the dipstick is crap. My first oil change last month and I overfilled because I couldn't figure out where the oil level was on the stick. I have never had that problem on any other vehicle I have owned

#23 ·
New X Owner, OMG How the Heck do you read the dispstick

So I just picked up a 2004 X SC SE with 62k from a reputable dealership (Infinity). I have been working on cars for 15 years plus and like to think I know a fair amount about them, but how the hell do you read this peice of wire that is stuck where the dipstick belongs.
I decided to check the oil the next day just to get a reading and keep track of any oil burning if any exists, but HELL I cant even see any oil on the stick, there is no way its low on oil the second day lol.

:usuck:

#24 ·
I know this is VERY old but I agree the dipstick is crap. My first oil change last month and I overfilled because I couldn't figure out where the oil level was on the stick. I have never had that problem on any other vehicle I have owned
it helps when you actually look at the quanity of oil the engine holds. 3.5 qts. My dipstick works fine. Now the Transmission dipstick is worth complaining about. Easy way to tell is take a white paper towel and clean the dipstick put it back in the engine then take out and roll on a clean piece of paper towel then examine. Problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.