Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Cold Weather Issues

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Itsme 
#1 ·
Alright all,

My 2007 Xterra has had issues starting in the cold weather, here is the situation:

If it dips below 40 degrees and my vehicle is not plugged in (Meaning a warmer on the battery, oil pan, and starter) it will not start unless I spray starting fluid down the intake.

If it gets below 10 degrees it takes it a while to start even plugged in.

If I turn the key on/off rapidly about 10-15 times, sometimes it will catch.

Also, while driving my tach will suddenly drop as if it is choking and then return to normal revs, but other then that it will run fine. No check engine lights, etc.

I have had considerable success plugging the vehicle in but once again these warmers are located on the STARTER, OIL PAN, AND BATTERY the ECM relay has been replaced, the fuel pump has been replaced, and the IPDM. It also has a brand new battery with 700 CCA and 10W30 oil and oil filter/spark plugs and wires. Any advice would be helpful!

See less See more
#3 ·
If the starter is sucking up all the juice, it will not leave enough to give your coil a good shot. In colder weather, when the engine is cold and the oil is thick, the compression is higher and the spark plug air gap needs a good spark to ignite the cold fuel.
Is the starter worn out and eating all your battery energy?
Is your battery and alternator in tip top shape?
Is your coil at the end of it's useful life?
Are your injectors spraying, or squirting gas?
Is the gasoline evap system stuck closed? (and causing a strong vacuum in your gas tank?)
Is your oil too thick?

As you can see, there are many factors to considder and there are many more that can cause hard starting in cold weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.