Nissan XTerra Forum banner

4x4 on the fly

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Hockeysurf7 
#1 ·
Hey everyone im new to the xterra. But so far i love mine its a 2004 5 speed manual with a pml and 265/75/16 duratracs with only 55000 on the odometer.
I was wondering are you able to shift it into 4 wheel high while you are going down the road.

#3 ·
Yes you can I've done it on trails when I come to a slick muddy spot. But I wouldn't do it at anything more than a slow trail speed. If your X is like mine it doesn't have anything on the visors about the 4wd like mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
#8 ·
I tried getting into 4lo once at about 5 mph and the thing made a horrible grinding noise so I immediately gave up on that and have never tried again. I have went into 4hi a couple of times at around 30mph with no issue, but I still usually stop and but the truck in park or neutral before swapping into 4hi or lo.

#10 ·
If you look in the owners manual it will tell you what is ok and what is not. I very recently got a 2001 SE and the owners manual says anything under 25mph you are ok to go to 4H. And after you go back to 2H to disengage the autolock hubs by traveling in the opposite direction in 2H for 7-10 feet.

#12 ·
Shifting into/out of 4-low requires being stopped and being in neutral or park. You can only go up to about 25mph in 4-low. 4-high can be done on the fly up to ~25mph (not sure if i remember that number correctly) and you can drive up to like 60... and shift from 4-high to 2wd on the fly at any speed. Read your owner's manual to check my numbers.

#15 ·
i have 2000 nissan frontier and my manuel say that i have to be going under 25 mph to shift into 4h however i usally shift at speed under 25 mph some time it does not always shift easy. i try shift in to 4h before in neutral and it seems to shift smother in neutral is it bad to shift to 4h in neutral. The manuel does not say if i can have it in neutral to switch it to 4h.can i also put it into 4h in park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.