Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Best rims and tire sizes

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2000 Nissan Xterra and want to replace the rims and tires. What are the best rims for the best price and all terrain tires also for a decent price but can also be taken basic off-roading.

#5 ·
By basic off-road I mean just simple mud holes and dirt and some river crossing. Just driving on trails. Nothing like rock crawling.
Not sure what the difference between a "simple mud hole" and "mud" or what a complicated mud hole would look like....?

Dirt is somewhat easier to understand...as long as you mean a dirt road or fire trail...and not loose dirt, say as you'd find in untraveled areas, etc.

River crossings...implies that there are rivers you want to cross...and, rivers tend to be deeper than say streams or puddles typically, and your tires might need to make you float...or be really rally tall, etc?

Rock crawling is something you consider to be off limits for some reason...

...which is too bad, because ordinary highway tires can work best on many types of rocks as long as they're not sharp, etc.

You also didn't mention sand or snow, etc.

So, for mud, a mud tire works best (go figure...), and, for ON road, a mud tire works WORST.

You mentioned an AT, so, I'm assuming you are aware of the compromise there.

So, all you need to do now is prioritize how MUCH ON road performance you'd sacrifice to get better OFF road performance...so we know if you'd rather have a mild AT that is better on the road, or, an aggressive AT that will be worse on the road, but better in the mud, even if not as good as an MT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.