Nissan XTerra Forum banner

longest lasting xterra of all time

57K views 108 replies 82 participants last post by  huntergedon 
#1 ·
No, I don't own it, I have a 2000SE with ~109500

What is the highest mileage you have ever seen on any year any style Xterra? How was it driven for the most part, onroad, offroad, both, highway, city?
Did it require excessive repairs or just keep on chugging without much help?

Just curious

#3 ·
Hell, I think mine took the most abuse and it still drove when I sold it. Rolled it, flopped it, cut it apart, lifted it, welded on it, let it rain on the inside of the truck, snowed on the inside of the truck (snow on the dash!) and so on for abuse.

What a beast. Wish I still had that truck!

#4 ·
Mines a 2001 with 203000 on it so far.
I bought it used with about 76000 on it when I got it ... most of my mileage was put on commuting 26 miles one way to work for many years. A few thousand miles a year on interstate, had it off road twice.
Been a pretty good truck so far. Got some hi mileage quirks .. chattering lifters, leaking valve cover gaskets, u-joints in the driveline going out (I think) ... otherwise, I love it.

#5 ·
Playing around the 203 mark on my '02

Daily driver an was mostly a southern mass those island highway driver. For the past year it has seen weekend offs road trips but before that it was a mommy mobile and a firefighter commuter.

I saved her though ;)

#6 ·
I have a 2008, 155.000 km, mostly on road, if off road, mostly desert...OH, and I used 4wd on paved roads a few times, no problem for the X, survived it (-:, wouldnt do it again though,...my X is serviced every 10k and it feels like the X can do another 150.000

If it comes to durability and the X is well maintained, very good SUV

#10 ·
anyone know if the 89 pathfinder engine is related at all to a vg33 in the earliest generations? Our family had one for 20 years, i had it for the last 5 or 6, barely ever did anything to fix it and it lasted about 180k before someone totalled it with body damage, then lied, sued her won but they took the car. it felt like it had 300k in it at least.

#12 ·
Have an 01 that has over 300k but she just blew the head gasket. Took the heads off and the shop could not believe they had that many miles...Still in great shape. Replacing the H20 pump, Timing Belt and tensioner,KS, Belts,Passenger exhaust manifold, Front Crank Seal, Valve Seals, Cam Seals, Thermostat....Gonna drop about 4-6 hundred on parts (I am doing the work) but if I get another 200k thats Cheap!

#13 ·
300k on a 2001!! Dang!

I have 136,500 on my '00

#14 ·
191K on my '01, and that's with it parked for a year. Bought it used Nov '03 with about 30K on it.

She's showing her age a bit, but still running strong. Only real abuse she's gotten is not doing the maintenance when I should, but I am trying to catch up best I can.

#15 ·
I bought my 05 2nd gen with 142k on it. Creeping up to 150k now. The previous owners must have traveled a lot and not done a whole lot of upkeep. Here are a few of the issues I've had to deal with since getting it:

The rubber hoses and rubber connection nipples to the heater core and radiator were dried and deteriorating, but it was hard for even the dealership mechanics to tell until they completely burst.

The Radiator cap and expansion or coolant overflow tank cap were old and couldn't hold pressure as well anymore.

The AC system had a leak somewhere near the evaporator.

The thermostat was not detecting temperatures properly and didn't open until it got hotter than it should have.

The fan clutch was worn and not turning the radiator fan at proper speeds.

The rubber tabs on the front of the bonnet were dried and worn and causing a lot of hood vibration and a terrible squeaking sound from hood especially at speed or over bumps.

All minor things really. Been taken care of now and it runs beautifully!

I've been a Nissan fan for many years and I can say the Xterra is no exception to the ruggedness and dependable performance I've come to love from the brand.

One of these days I'll actually get a new Nissan rather than one already half way through its life cycle lol!

#18 ·
Mine's just getting broken in at 128,2xx miles. :thumbup: I bought it in 2002 with 20K and it's been a great truck.

Only real issues that I've had has been with the A/C. The upper line started leaking and was replaced @ 50k. Recently the A/C has gone dead again and I suspect the same line is to blame. Just haven't had the time to take it to the shop to get looked at.

A/C is one of the few systems that I won't work on.

#20 ·
A/C is one of the few systems that I won't work on.
It isn't that bad. I just replaced the compressor on mine. Take it to a small shop to have it evacuated, rent a manifold and vacuum pump from Autozone ($275, all refunded) and three 12oz cans of refrigerant. You might need some PAG oil, but I'm not certain which one the factory compressor wants. PM me if you need some more details.

#23 ·
120k on an '03 S/C. Interested to see what the highest for an S/C is. Had to do exhaust manifolds, timing belt and catalytic converters; but only regular maintenance on top of that. Off road or 4wd about once a month plus trips to snow for skiing.
It's like a hot knife through butter in the snow.
Wish it had better mpg, but no whining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.