Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Is it safe

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sroor9001 
#1 ·
Is it safe to change the gear oil on my manual tranny? I have 210k on it. I wanted to change to redline, hoping it would help with shifting from 1st-2nd. It's super rough and gets a little better when warm, but I still have to shift it "just right" for it to be smooth. I am worried if I change it I could ruin the tranny.

#2 ·
It is much WORSE not too change it as it sounds like the fluid has "thinned" out/is breaking down so it will continue to get worse shifting. Even changing it, you could still have a rough shift if the synchro has worn out (possibly from waiting too long to refresh the fluid)

The "changing the fluid killed my transmission" old wive's tale/urban legends primarily refer to going way over on AUTOMATIC trans fluid changes. The autos get gunked up with crud in the old fluid and the fresh fluid change/flush can cause particulate to get flushed to other parts of the Auto trans and clog up passages. It's not really the new fluid that kills it, it's the gunk from the old fluid getting stirred up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.