Nissan XTerra Forum banner

No start, P0340, new distributor. Please help

7K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ACHTUNG 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be as descriptive as I can, but skip to bold if you want to see the main issue:

I took my 2000 Xterra to get the back window replaced after it was smashed and my subwoofer+amp were stolen...

Anyway, I went to pick it up and it wouldn't start. P0340. Read every thread I could find and landed on distributor.

The number on the label of my current distributor is 221001w601 . I wanted a Rich Porter/Spectra unit due to recommendations, so I got this one:

http://amzn.com/B00933GSOW

Has the same number in the description.

I installed it the following way:

-Disconnect battery
-Remove cap on current dist.
-turn crank pulley until at second mark on the balancer, which from the FSM, is TDC.
-The dist rotor was pointing towards the #1 plug wire.
-Marked the position of the distributor on the intake plenum, removed old, dropped in new distributor with the rotor in the same position and lined up with the mark on the plenum.
-Replace cap, plug everything in and attempt to start, no dice. Same exact symptoms, it will turn over but will not start.

Thought I'd test for spark so I plugged an old spark plug into the #1 plug wire and touched the threads to the metal chassis and had my gf crank it but I saw no spark. Was this enough to ground the plug by touching it to the frame? Shouldn't I have seen spark since the entire distributor unit is new?

I'm at a loss here now...is it possible I installed the distributor in the wrong orientation? Is there any other possibility for this code? I have no other codes stored and the P0340 code had been there for a while even before this happened.

Really would appreciate any help, thank you so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Probably sent you the wrong one...but I could be wrong...also check your fuses and such, make use nothing got popped when they stole your amp

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

#3 · (Edited)
I did drive it to the glass shop and it was the next day when they went to move it out of the shop that it wouldn't start, no symptoms the day before, according to them.

I had a look at some of the fuses, any specific ones I should check that relate to ignition? I checked the ignition one in the box in the cabin but it
appears fine.

If the rotor is turning then there should be nothing preventing spark, right? Or is there something else that controls it as well...

#4 ·
Is there some alignment that has to be done on the dist before install, or some testing i can do to determine if it is getting power for.spark?

Anything really, even pointing me to an article or soemthing. Would like to avoid towing it to a shop...

#5 · (Edited)
Sigh. I guess nobody else knows either. It's timed correctly, it's the correct Richporter distributor sold with my casting number in the ad, there is fuel, it's turning over, the battery is fully charged, there is power to the dist plug except the two wires on the left hand side closest to passenger, though these I"m assuming get power during crank (nobody to help me test), camshaft sensor plug from car has voltage, rotor is turning, timing belt was done 70,000KM ago and yet no spark when hooking up an external plug.

I'm still getting P0340 "camshaft position sensor "A"" pending with the new dist as well, but I've had this since I bought the car.

Off to a shop it goes, I'm just talking to myself at this point lol

#6 ·
I would say you need to check the resistance on the cam sensor, as that directly correlates to spark...look in the FSM for the values for it to be in spec

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

#7 ·
I appreciate the help. The mechanic is not getting an RPM signal during cranking so he suspects the cam position sensor in the new distributor is not sending the signal correctly.

I'm ordering a Cardone unit and a new crankshaft position sensor in case.

I'll update this for anyone who has these issues in the future, as I searched and found too many threads where people did not update with what fixed their issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.