Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Gas Light

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  birddog01 
#1 ·
Ok so I realize this is a random question but I looked in my Owners Manual and I can't find it. But does anyone know how much gas is left when the gas light comes on? I have a 2001 X (V6 if that matters)

#4 ·
mine is exactly 2.5 gallons. I never let mine get below 1/4 tank anymore because my gas milage generally sucks and i hate to run out of gas.

#5 ·
Mine is almost exactly 3 gallons left every time

#6 ·
Everyone's is a little different.

Fill it up, and drive until the light goes on...note the mileage, and refill it...noting how many gallons it took. (Subtract from your tank's capacity to get the difference)

It helps to plan your route where there are regular fuel stops....so you don't get too far from a refill spot. :D (Having a full gas can aboard is a good idea)

Repeat a few times to be sure to nail it down.

Then you'll know fairly precisely.

Of course, YMMV, and your range to get to a station is never a fixed #.

#7 ·
I never really bothered to calculate how many gallons I have left when I hit the light. I have however tested the range. I know for a fact at 55mph that I can do at least 45 miles. I made the mistake of not filing up at a 1/2 tank while crossing Arizona. I was at a half tank and said I'll fill up at the next.one Light came on and I did 45 miles babying the throttle until I finally came to a gas station. That was just a bit hair raising!

#9 ·
I'm usually at 2 gallons when the light comes on.
Word of warning, constantly running that low will kill the pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.