Nissan XTerra Forum banner

High Idle Problem ?!?!

40K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  XT2015 
#1 · (Edited)
OK here it is, I cleaned my TB this weekend and it was black inside. Im guessing oil from the K&N filter, anyway got it all shiny and clean using TB cleaner and now i have a high idle. I disconnected the battery tring to reset the computer no change. Drove it for a few hundred miles and no change, I did take it back apart and noticed that the TB was not shutting all the way. I dont know if there is a way to adjust the TB blades threw the IAC but thats why im here, Looking for a little help. When in park im sitting around 1500 rpm and in drive im at a 100 rpm. Any help would be great, And the only code im getting is high RPM

#2 ·
take a look and make sure everything is put back right, hoses, vacuum, electrical connections etc. makes sure there is no pc of rag or crud keeping the throttle plate open.

When i cleaned my TB on my o4 my idle increased, but in a good way. Better consistant smoother idle.

#4 · (Edited)
All my lines are attached, I double checked but i didnt have to remove any to clean the tb. When the car is started and in park the RPM is at 1500, Ill look into adjusting ICA

#7 ·
Hey guys i still cant seem to figure this out, Maybe some one else will see this and can help me out. Whats weird is some times it will go back to normal after i drive a little bit and sometimes it doesn't. when i start the idle is @1500 RPM's and in gear its @1100 or 1000 RPM's. Its now screwing up a u joint on the trans i believe, cause when i put it in gear and the idle is so high it makes a clank sound from the drive shaft. And when driving at slower speeds or slowing down i hear the clang like the drive shaft is loose

#8 ·
Hey guys i still cant seem to figure this out, Maybe some one else will see this and can help me out. Whats weird is some times it will go back to normal after i drive a little bit and sometimes it doesn't. when i start the idle is @1500 RPM's and in gear its @1100 or 1000 RPM's. Its now screwing up a u joint on the trans i believe, cause when i put it in gear and the idle is so high it makes a clank sound from the drive shaft. And when driving at slower speeds or slowing down i hear the clang like the drive shaft is loose
djjab57 - did you ever figure out what was causing your high idle and then subsequent loosening of driveshafts / ujoints? I know this is an old thread - but was praying you might still have some info on it as I am suffering from the same exact issue and want to know where I should begin my troubleshooting! Many thanks in advance.

#9 ·
I recently replaced all 4 cats on my 2005 Xterra, but first I did the front ones then a month later did the rear ones during this time it throw a P0507 code which is a high idle 1400 to 1700 RPM when normal should be about 650.

This is what I find out in another forum and will try first thing tomorrow.

*****2005-2011 Nissan Xterra Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning Procedure

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or Engine Control Module (ECM) is disconnected.

Instructions
1 Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2 Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3 Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4 Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5 Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

*****2005-2011 Nissan Xterra Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning Procedure

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or Engine Control Module (ECM) is disconnected.

Instructions
2 Turn ignition switch ON.
3 Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
a Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

*****2005-2011 Nissan Xterra Idle Air Volume Learning

DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific
range.

It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
 Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
 Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
 Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100°C (158 - 212°F)
 PNP switch: ON
 Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine
is started the headlamp will not be illuminated.
 Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
 Vehicle speed: Stopped
 Transmission: Warmed-up
For A/T models with CONSULT-II, drive vehicle until “ATF TEMP SE 1” in “DATA MONITOR” mode of “A/
T” system indicates less than 0.9V.
For A/T models without CONSULT-II, and M/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

Without CONSULT-II
NOTE:
 It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
 It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit
has a malfunction.
1. Perform EC-89, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" . (Above)
2. Perform EC-89, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" . (Above)
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the
specifications.

Now, this is how I did it and hope this will be a easier way to understand how to do it with a stop watch.
00:00 Turn key to ign. on
00:03 Press gas pedal 5 times (all the way down and realease) before 5 sec. (00:08)The total 5sec. Now wait 7 sec. more
This is were i think i was going wrong before, I was pressing the pedal 5 times and did not take into consideration that even if it took me 3 sec to press the pedal 5 times you STILL have to wait the hole 5 sec. before going onto waiting for the next 7 sec.
00:15 Press and hold the gas pedal until the MIL light goes solid, once this happens release gas pedal and start engine.
Let it idle and you should be good to go.

#12 · (Edited)
I recently replaced all 4 cats on my 2005 Xterra, but first I did the front ones then a month later did the rear ones during this time it throw a P0507 code which is a high idle 1400 to 1700 RPM when normal should be about 650.

This is what I find out in another forum and will try first thing tomorrow.

*****2005-2011 Nissan Xterra Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning Procedure

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or Engine Control Module (ECM) is disconnected.

Instructions
2 Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3 Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4 Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5 Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

*****2005-2011 Nissan Xterra Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning Procedure

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or Engine Control Module (ECM) is disconnected.

Instructions
2 Turn ignition switch ON.
3 Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
a Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

*****2005-2011 Nissan Xterra Idle Air Volume Learning

DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific
range.

It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100°C (158 - 212°F)
PNP switch: ON
Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine
is started the headlamp will not be illuminated.
Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
Vehicle speed: Stopped
Transmission: Warmed-up
For A/T models with CONSULT-II, drive vehicle until “ATF TEMP SE 1” in “DATA MONITOR” mode of “A/
T” system indicates less than 0.9V.
For A/T models without CONSULT-II, and M/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

Without CONSULT-II
NOTE:
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit
has a malfunction.
1. Perform EC-89, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" . (Above)
2. Perform EC-89, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" . (Above)
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the
specifications.

Now, this is how I did it and hope this will be a easier way to understand how to do it with a stop watch.
00:00 Turn key to ign. on
00:03 Press gas pedal 5 times (all the way down and realease) before 5 sec. (00:08)The total 5sec. Now wait 7 sec. more
This is were i think i was going wrong before, I was pressing the pedal 5 times and did not take into consideration that even if it took me 3 sec to press the pedal 5 times you STILL have to wait the hole 5 sec. before going onto waiting for the next 7 sec.
00:15 Press and hold the gas pedal until the MIL light goes solid, once this happens release gas pedal and start engine.
Let it idle and you should be good to go.
This, I have to do this anytime I clean the TB or my K and N and OP no black build up on TB is normal wether K and N is used or not.

Here are easier to print versions make sure you have a stop watch as the timings must be exact, and you need to meet all prep conditions on main page which is link 3, basically just go drive and warm up everything then put it in park or neutral and turn a/c and radio etc off while doing this.

Step 1:
https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/xter...elerator_pedal_released_position_learning.php

Step 2:
https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/xter...a_throttle_valve_closed_position_learning.php

Step 3:
https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/xterra/projects/nissan_xterra_idle_air_volume_learning.php

Reactions: fiestaplatypus