Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2002 SE Supercharger Sound

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mirage 
#1 ·
So, when I first picked up my X, I thought the supercharger sounded awesome. After watching a few videos of supercharged X's, I don't think mine sounds so normal now. Instead of a wine, it has a rushing of air sound. Engine appears to be stock. Does this sound normal? I have never had a Supercharged vehicle before.

#2 ·
On many OEM supecharged vehicles you get more sound with aftermarket cold air intakes and even a reduction pulley. I dont personally know what an XTerra sounds like supercharged and stock, but I am sure Nissan did not want it to be all too loud!

#3 ·
Well, drove it today, and now the supercharger has a nice wine to it, and she pulls up hills much better. Stopped at Autozone to pick up some Seafoam, and had them check for codes on it. Only one that pulled up was the Knock Sensor code. Sadly, he couldn't clear the codes for me :(. Will disconnecting the battery clear the code for me like with other vehicles, or will it clear itself over time?

I have a feeling it had some old gas in it when i got it. First time I filled it up, it reeked when I opened the gas cap. Probably what threw the code, unless the sensor has gone bad.

#4 ·
The knock sensor is probably bad. That and the distributor are probably the two most common problems on an xterra. Most people just ignore it since it doesnt cause the light to come on, but on a boosted engine I would probably fix it.

#5 ·
the knock sensor code will cause the sc bypass valve to open, causing you to have reduced boost/power. try asking if you can clear the code with their scanner, or go to another parts store (some won't clear it themselves, but will let you clear it). drive it for awhile and see if it comes back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.