Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Passenger Headlight fuse... Where is the short?!

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mogman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Just picked up a '02 se/sc The right side light keeps blowing fuses and I'm having an AWESOME time troubleshooting the short. Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to find the culprit? I've checked the pug with an ohm meter and its clear that the headlight is grounded somewhere but after pulling the battery, I cant see any obvious place that it would be grounded without pulling apart the wiring bundle (which I obviously want to avoid doing) I've read a bit about chaffing wires causing this problem, but I was curious if anyone knows of a good location to start my quest. Cheers.

#2 ·
Start with using a multi-meter to check for a short to ground in the wire between the fuse (15 amp #37) and the combination switch. It should be a yellow wire with a green stripe.

Then check for a short to ground from the combination switch to the right headlight. The low beam wire is red with a black stripe, and the high beam wire is red with a white stripe.

The factory wiring diagram is here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2002_Xterra/el.pdf

info starts on EL-35

#4 ·
It's the headlight switch on the steering column. There's a pic of it in the same link I posted earlier (see page EL-31)

#5 ·
It's the headlight switch on the steering column. There's a pic of it in the same link I posted earlier (see page EL-31)
I keep getting this message:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mogman again.

Could people PLEASE rep this fellah?

>:D

#7 ·
Lol TJTJ...as long as it's good rep of course :D

colindanger-

You may have "fixed" the problem by moving wires around during your troubleshooting. It's likely to be on the outside where "shake n bake" has a tendency to be really hard on old wiring. If it happens again, start looking at the wiring closest to the headlight, and the connector for damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.