Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2000 Xterra Shakes/Rumbles Bad At Idol

4K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  CrossBones3129 
#1 ·
So this has been an ongoing thing. When my xterra is parked it constantly rumbles, shakes, and it'll hit a spike where it'll shaje real hard. I remmember taking it to oreily's and they told me I had a generic misfire code. Now I can change all the spark plugs and wires except that 1 in the back because thats way too hardfor me. My dad told me try changing the distributor cap and rotary because we can hear a ticking sound coming from around the intake/distributoe area. So what should I do to fix this constant shake and rumble? Change the distributor cap, rotary, and spark plug wires?

Also I guess my blower motor is located under my glove box? It's making a loud noisr like something's caught in it. Should I change that too?

#11 ·
http://youtu.be/JMhmgyoPm28

Tried doing this and it didnt help. I'm lost. I'm worried it will get worst and stop working at all.
WORRIED you may destroy your motor. What if it is the distributor or something like I mentioned and you are driving with the timing all off? Besides that point you know there is a problem and sounds like you are still driving it or a least continually duplicating the problem?

So two things:

Did you ever get the exact code(s) as you said you were going to provide in an earlier post so we could try and help more?

or

Have it hooked up to a stealership computer before it is to late.

Not trying to be a butt-head, just dont want to see you with a dead motor. That money you are trying to save may cost you QUADRUPLE ++

:|

#12 ·
WORRIED you may destroy your motor. What if it is the distributor or something like I mentioned and you are driving with the timing all off? Besides that point you know there is a problem and sounds like you are still driving it or a least continually duplicating the problem?

So two things:

Did you ever get the exact code(s) as you said you were going to provide in an earlier post so we could try and help more?

or

Not trying to be a butt-head, just dont want to see you with a dead motor. That money you are trying to save may cost you QUADRUPLE ++

Well like I said, the check engine light has been off and only came back on yesterday. After work I'll go hook it up at oreily's and get them to print out the codes and post back here later. Think adjusting the idol screw to make it idol a little higher might stop it? I know the problem will still be there but hidden by it idoling higher.

#13 ·

So two things:

or

Ok so here's what I got code p0158 (Heated Oxygen Sensor) and p0325 (Knock Sensor). So after leaving O reily's and getting those codes I was about 10 minutes from home when I noticed the Service Engine Soon light began blinking. I went home and my dad said there wasn't hardly any oil left. So I went buy 4 quarts, adedd it it, and the light blinked about 4 or 5 times. When it would blink it would be hard for me to accelerate. Any clue what this would be? My dad said he will install some new spark plugs, and then wires if necessary. I'm worried because I'm fairly certain this vehicle is coming up on it's dead date.

#14 ·
(p0325) So hopefully some pros will jump in but with the actual problems I am gonna stick with it COULD be the distributor issue for one because the knock sensor code can go off when the engine has a misfire. The knock sensor obviously could be bad, which is not a easy job. (under the plenum)

(p0158)

This info is from http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0158_nissan.html#ixzz3GVQrz3Jc

Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks

#15 ·
(p0325) So hopefully some pros will jump in but with the actual problems I am gonna stick with it COULD be the distributor issue for one because the knock sensor code can go off when the engine has a misfire. The knock sensor obviously could be bad, which is not a easy job. (under the plenum)

(p0158)

This info is from http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0158_nissan.html#ixzz3GVQrz3Jc

Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks
Ok well I'm gonna change the spark plugs out today. If that doean't fix it I'll order a distributor from Amazon for $100. How hard is it to change?

How hard would it be to change the o2 sensor?

#16 ·
Ok well I'm gonna change the spark plugs out today. If that doean't fix it I'll order a distributor from Amazon for $100. How hard is it to change?

How hard would it be to change the o2 sensor?
There are 4 different 02 sensors but you have bank 2 knowledge. Do a search on how-to and decide. Changing a distributor is not hard but timing is absolutely CRUCIAL and that is where being precise is needed.

And still dont know if it is the problem? I am just guessing, remember.

#17 ·
There are 4 different 02 sensors but you have bank 2 knowledge. Do a search on how-to and decide. Changing a distributor is not hard but timing is absolutely CRUCIAL and that is where being precise is needed.

Ok so my dad took a look at the sparkplugs and wires. The 6th spark plug wire connector thing was cracked. My dad taped it and it runs smoother and doesnt shake nearly as bad. It does a little shaking at idol though and I can see the RPMs go up about 1/6 of an inch and back down. I guess I'll drive it this week and see if that problem persists. My dad also said he checked the distributor before and it was fine. Did you see that previous thread where I had found a sensor that wasnt hooked up, at all and I don't how to hook it up?

#18 ·
My advise it to get a shop to look at this for you. 4 quarts low on oil, 02 code, cracked plug wire, disconnected sensor...Sounds like this truck has been abused and you could spend a month trying to track down the problem meanwhile something terminal happens.

#19 ·
My advise it to get a shop to look at this for you. 4

quarts low on oil, 02 code, cracked plug wire, disconnected sensor...Sounds like this truck has been abused and you could spend a month trying to track down the problem meanwhile something terminal happens.
Would you guys mind looking at this and maybe giving me an idea of what it is?

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97857

#21 ·

I've been looking at diagrams and googling how to figure out where the O2 (Bank 2 sensor 2) is but I can't figure out where it would be so that I can change it. Can you help me please?

#22 ·
I've been looking at diagrams and googling how to figure out where the O2 (Bank 2 sensor 2) is but I can't figure out where it would be so that I can change it. Can you help me please?
Okay, here. http://nissanhelp.com/diy/xterra/projects/2000_2004_nissan_xterra_o2_sensor_location.php

****Now promise me if this does not work you actually get a timing light and do the simple task of confirming the timing or have a shop check it. If it had ever been done than just pretend it hasn't and do it again.

Here is info:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14099

#23 ·
Okay, here. http://nissanhelp.com/diy/xterra/projects/2000_2004_nissan_xterra_o2_sensor_location.php

****Now promise me if this does not work you actually get a timing light and do the simple task of confirming the timing or have a shop check it. If it had ever been done than just pretend it hasn't and do it again.

Here is info:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14099
Yes I will. So the one I need to change would be under the engine on the left if I was laying under the vehicle with my legs coming out the front of the vehicle? By the way my real co fusion here would be is that sensor upstream or downstream? That's what they call it at parts stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.