Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Since Fixing My AC, Heater Takes Forever To Warm

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  CrossBones3129 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a 2000 Nissan Xterra. Fixed my AC about 3 months ago by replacing a hose and filling it with freon. Well today it was pretty cool and I wanted to use the heater. I turnes it on and put the air on 4. It only startes to get warm about 20 mins later when I got to work and it was barely warm. When my AC was broke and all I had was a heater it seemed like it would get warm so fast. To me it seems like it's blowing warm and cold air at the same time but idk really. So why does it take so long to warm? Could it be coolant mixed with water?

#3 ·
Check and see if there is any air in the coolant there is a bleed screw on the top of the intake near the N in the large letters of the word Nissan, at idle open slowly and let the air out till coolant starts to come out.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try it as soon as I get off work. I forgoy to put that I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra V6.

#7 ·
Ok so this past week it blew hot air within like 10 minutes of turning the engine on. However, Friday it didn't work. I drove somewhere which took about 3 hours and it blew cold the whole time and then like 2x an hour for like 10 mins it would randomly blow warm again, and then back cold. I also smelt, which idk if it's related, what smelled like urine lol.

#8 ·
The broken AC hose, will not have a bearing on the heating, but I will tell you, if you just replaced the hose and added 134a to the system, with out pulling a vacuam on the system. You will stand a good chance of blowing your ac compressor. And yes the famous responce is "well it's just working fine now". So in 8 months to a year when you did not pull a vacuam to the system and the moisture in the system,start to turn the 134a into a acid, you have a heater issue,they are too seperate systems....the only common thing is the control ckt.. It control the heater or ac..done deal....

#9 ·
The broken AC hose, will not have a bearing on the heating, but I will tell you, if you just replaced the hose and added 134a to the system, with out pulling a vacuam on the system. You will stand a good chance of blowing your ac compressor. And yes the famous responce is "well it's just working fine now". So in 8 months to a year when you did not pull a vacuam to the system and the moisture in the system,start to turn the 134a into a acid, you have a heater issue,they are too seperate systems....the only common thing is the control ckt.. It control the heater or ac..done deal....
Wow we didn't pull vacuum on it at all. So should I do that asap? How exactly would I do that and what I need?

#11 ·
The problem is thay my hwater core keeps clogging up. My radiator is full of orange caked up rust. I did a radiator flush and took the hoses off thebheater core abd sprayed it out. It worked for a couple of days then starting messing up again. The hose coming from the engine into the heater core has some of that orange rust. I guess I will have to try and clean out those indivudally. Any suggestions on cleaning them out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.