Nissan XTerra Forum banner

spider webs

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  MacMonkey 
#1 ·
What can I do to keep spiders from making the top of my truck their home???

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
LOL

OK, NOT the average post at least.

:D

Get some outdoor bug spray, and spray the truck, getting it into the aluminum tubes and drain holes, rain channels, etc....but, do that after FLUSHING OUT and washing down the roof and drain holes, etc.

My favorite solution though is to use a 3 watt 445 nm laser focused on the spider.

It destroys the spider, and leaves a smoking carcass as a warning to its kind that they will suffer a similar fate if they are not gone by noon.

#8 ·
As far as I'm concerned, a DEET powered flame thrower is the only solution.

#9 ·
Laughably I am assuring all flame throwers and laser pointers will not be my means of eradication. To the one who says "What's the big deal?" They are black widows...'nough said. Of course I have already tried bug spray, which left white specks all over my running bars and ate away at my clear coat. I was simply wondering if anyone else had similar issues and how they dealt with it.

#10 ·
You guys serious? Really?

I have never had spiders in my cargo area and if i did, who cares. And really, burn you car cause of a few spiders? I guarantee you have more spiders in you house than your car.
:|

Yes I'm serious. She should set her Xterra on fire because of a spider on the roof.

In related news, I'm contacting the FBI to send out an APB for your sense of humor.

#11 ·
Actually Amberchevon, I hear that spiders hate the smell of mint. Maybe try greasing up the cargo rack with some tea tree oil or something? Kind of a biodegradable solution that might be worth a shot, and won't hurt your paint.

#12 · (Edited)
well if its black widows you screwed. lol.

you could just leave them alone. they are very passive spiders and if you left it alone it will leave you alone. i've let them even walk on my hand. also contrary to what people think their bite is actually rarely fatal and rarely treated with anything other than pain killers and rarely leaves any side effects. more people die from bee stings in the US than a bite from a black widow and brown recluse combined. in fact you have a greater likelihood of being killed by a dog than a black widow.

deaths per year by animals in US:

Bees 53
dogs 31
black widow and brown recluse 6
rattle snake 5
scorpion 1 every 2 years.

and its not cause black widows are rare. they are one of the more populous spiders here in america. i counted 20 of them on one of my old apartment patios at one time.

#13 ·
heh... "take off and nuke the site from orbit. only way to be sure" LOL there's one option!
the laser with leaving the smoking carcass is also good ! <G> the point about your house having more is likely why they return after you clean them off the truck. Where you park is likely to have spiders that find the Xterra a good spot to set up camp .
last year I had a wolf spider building webs in the back bumper. I was happy to give him a rolling home and he was quite tenacious in staying put. This year he seems to have invited friends along.... if you try the essential oils make sure you test it on your paint in an out of the way spot first .
of course you could try parking the xterra in the nearest lake/swimming pool and see if you can drown them ... ; )

#18 ·
heh... "take off and nuke the site from orbit. only way to be sure" LOL there's one option!
the laser with leaving the smoking carcass is also good ! <G> the point about your house having more is likely why they return after you clean them off the truck. Where you park is likely to have spiders that find the Xterra a good spot to set up camp .
last year I had a wolf spider building webs in the back bumper. I was happy to give him a rolling home and he was quite tenacious in staying put. This year he seems to have invited friends along.... if you try the essential oils make sure you test it on your paint in an out of the way spot first .
of course you could try parking the xterra in the nearest lake/swimming pool and see if you can drown them ... ; )
Must have been something other than a Wolf Spider then, as Wolf Spiders don't make webs.

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.