Nissan XTerra Forum banner

power locks not working

21K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Peacemkr45 
#1 ·
power locks decided to sh*$ the bed today! cant lock by the fob or the door panel. only manually. the fob can still sound the horn and i can hear the clicking in the cabin whenever i push the un-lock and lock buttons, but no joy.
i checked the fuse box in the cabin and under the hood, none were popped but none were labeled power locks either.
:clueless:

#2 ·
Bah that's funky. It sounds like it could be a problem with some kind of relay somewhere. I'd imagine there's some kind of a lock control relay box most likely inside the driver's side door. I've seen it there in older Nissan's anyway. I was able to pull a better one of a junked Nissan car before to fix the one in my old Nissan to get the power locks and windows to work again.

#3 ·
There's no relay, but there is a circuit breaker located behind the cabin fuse panel. Power is applied to the system by link 'F' (30a) and fuse 27 in the cabin (7.5a). Since you hear a clicking when you try to use the main switch, I'd check fuse 'F', the circuit breaker, and the connections to the Smart Entrance Controller (that order).
Location (2001):

That blue connector behind the OBD plug is the relay for the windows; the circuit breaker should be close to that on a white 2-pin connector.

Reactions: phrog man
#6 ·
Check the ground behind the left kick panel, but it sounds like the SEC is busted.

#8 ·

Attachments

#9 ·
Hey man, I'm having a similar problem. I'm pretty sure I found the CB that Muadeeb was talking about, but it was in a different location. It was behind the little piece of plastic just to the left of your feet while driving. It's held in by one screw at the bottom and a clip at the top, as well as the bottom of it being underneath the door sill trim. Once you have it off, you'll find another blue relay, and a silver bracket held on by one 10mm bolt. Take this bolt off, and the relay and CB will come out. I assume this is the one Maudeeb was talking about, as the power windows would not work when I disconnected the relay, and the CB was behind it. Only trouble is, this was not my problem. I've checked all the fuses/fusible links, this CB and the connections to the SEC. Still getting the clicking, still getting no response from the locks... Any ideas??

PS: I've attached a photo of the CB for your reference...

Attachments

#13 ·
It'll be Saturday before I can take a gander at mine. It's the wife's DD and I work 9a - 11p.

#17 ·
So im new to the site. I have an 04 xterra. 2wd sadly. No mods. Having same issue with my power locks. I can hit the lock button hear the clicking but nothing happening. I found SEC and found a clip if I unplug it and try the door locks I don't hear the clicks anymore. I had another issue develop while the vehicle is running I have a bunch of clicks like a blinker is on but no blinkers on. I traced it down to my sec for the doors I believe. Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#20 ·
I found with my son in law's 04 that both pass side doors lock and unlock and so does the driver's rear but the driver's side front would sound like it was trying (made the clicks) but wouldn't actually unlock. I popped the door panel and found the mechanism was totally gummed up with old grease. Cleaned it up, regreased and worked the mechanism by key and by switch about 30 times each. Now it moves smooth as silk.