Nissan XTerra Forum banner

SAS or ARB?

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Bklyn.X 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am at an impass on what I should do with my Xterra. Currently this is what I have going on:

-3 inch suspension lift from 4x4parts.com
UCA's
Shackles
Add a leaf

-heavy duty TRA's

-new TRE ball joints

-idler arm brace

-diff drop bushings

-lokka locker in front diff

-warn manual hubs

-Shrokworks skid plates over engine and transfer case

-Custom front rear bumpers and rock sliders

So I have not played too much with the front locker, so I don't really know how much benefit I am getting as I have never had a front locker. But I know I want more. I plan to try to put 33x10.50x15 tires on, I really do not want to do a body lift though.

I have looked into the Calmini system for the SAS. I can get it all for roughly $3700 (parts only - swap kit, sway bar, drive shaft, coil over shocks) I have an axle to use also (early 80's Jeep Wagoner) I would probably put a Detroit up front. This would give me about 5-6 inches of suspension lift. I would have to look into getting the rear height even, not sure how to do that just yet.

My other option is to put an ARB in the rear. I know total cost is somewhere around $1500-1600 installed.

Now my question is am I better off locking the rear and keeping the IFS up front? Or should I take that step and SAS the front?

I was also told I could do a rear axle swap with a Dana 44 and open up more locker options for close to the same cost as an ARB set up.

So have locked front and rear with IFS or locked front only with SAS?

Any input is much appreciated!!

See less See more
#3 ·
IMHO a SAS without locking front and rear is a waste of time.
I have 33x12.5x15 on my ’01 and had them on before I did a BL.
I have IFS ARB locked front and rear, it works okay. Locked front and rear SAS with 35’s would be the only “upgrade” I would consider.

That’s my opinion…

#4 ·
So ultimately I need to lock the rear, regardless of whether I SAS or not.

Since I have the front locked, I would be better off spending the money locking the rear before doing anything else, right?

Also, should I look at re gearing while I am at it. I currently have 4.6 gears, if I step up to 33's should I jump up to 5.13's?

#5 · (Edited)
Bro, this is all my uneducated humble opinion. All this crap we do is subjective and only relevant to our individual needs and preferences.
For me; I would get the best rubber to the ground drive it a bit and then, if I wanted more, lock the rear before I did anything else.
I’m not a fan of a front locker on its own on our IFS 1st Gen Xterra. That’s me; there are plenty of guys on the boards that feel different. I locked the rear first, then after a year or so locked the front. I rarely use the front locker on my truck and when I do it’s only for a few seconds.
I haven’t re-geared mine.
No gas tank skid?

Ny truck back in the day, no BL with 33x12.5x15 intrco TrXus M/T'sTrXus M/T;

#6 ·
Oh I know it is all subjective from person to person. I appreciate the advice so far. Mostly just looking for experiences from other people. I have a buddy trying to talk me into a SAS, and I have anotger buddy who is asking me why SAS with no rear locker. So the more viewpoints the better.

No gas tank skid yet, no. Was thinking of getting a differential skid, actually. But maybe I will consider a gas tank skid as well.

Thanks for your thoughts so far, greatly appreciated!!

#7 ·
So I'm more in the camp of "why SAS with no rear locker".

A gas tank skid is your next move. I wouldn't wheel without one since our OEM one is a POS.

I had a differential skid back in the day. Ripped off the truck the first rock it hit and i never replaced it, haven't missed it. IMHO our rear dif is pretty beefy and can take the hits.

Reactions: Jbria
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.