Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Off road / mud tires on 17" OEM rim?

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Cavalznti 
#1 ·
Searched forum and couldn't find any previous threads.

I have a 2004 Xterra with 17" OEM rims

here is a picture:

I want to go with a lift (2.5 to 3") and upgrade my tires, but I really want to keep my rims as they actually look really nice on my ride as is.

Does anyone know any 32"-33" offroad tires that will fit on an OEM 17x8 rim?

has anyone else done this?

Pictures would be great too :nick-big:

See less See more
#8 ·
Also, did you have to put wheel spacers in?
Wheel spacers INCREASE TIRE RUB on IFS set-ups.

They do help with the rear live axle though.

You only NEED them if you increase your REAR wheel travel enough, and have at LEAST 12.5" wide tires....and then, ONLY in the rear.

:D

305/65/17 would be as close as you'd get to to a 33x12.5/17 equivalent tire size.

285/70/17 would be like a 33x11.5/17.

#11 ·
what kind of lift do you have (if any)?
He's running a 3" suspension lift. He said he had to trim sheet metal and plastic in front.

Typically people do a 2" body lift (easily 10x cheaper than the SL) to run 33s, as it lifts the fenders and bumper up away from the tires permanently. Whereas the room created by a SL goes away, to varying degrees, around corners/over bumps. There is a how to piece it together thread as well as install.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2151

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2191

#12 ·
I have the 285-70-17 hankook murders. They ran me about 800 installed. They tuck in way better that way, better that a wider tire on a rim with less backspacing.
I have a 2.5 suspension lift and a 2" body lift.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 · (Edited)
what kind of lift do you have (if any)?
3" suspension. I trimmed a bit of sheet metal, just the pinch weld behind the plastics, I cut out a thin strip at the bottom, then hammered the rest of it flat that I thought would interfere. I cut out a bit more of the plastics to get clearance, but they still hold their shape. About the only place I get rub is on the little shield on the frame rail on the passenger side, a body lift wouldn't fix that anyways.

A body lift you'd just have to do a light trim of the plastics though.

#16 ·
3" suspension. I trimmed a bit of sheet metal, just the pinch weld behind the plastics, I cut out a thin strip at the bottom, then hammered the rest of it flat that I thought would interfere. I cut out a bit more of the plastics to get clearance, but they still hold their shape. About the only place I get rub is on the little shield on the frame rail on the passenger side, a body lift wouldn't fix that anyways.

A body lift you'd just have to do a light trim of the plastics though.
Where are these pinch welds located exactly?

#17 ·
Great stuff guys. I too am now looking at a tire upgrade to a 33ish and wanted to get a consensus. Bfg at's seem to be top dog but does anyone have input on bfg rugged terrain, general grabbers, or falken wild peaks? Thanks for the input as always.

#18 ·
Great stuff guys. I too am now looking at a tire upgrade to a 33ish and wanted to get a consensus. Bfg at's seem to be top dog but does anyone have input on bfg rugged terrain, general grabbers, or falken wild peaks? Thanks for the input as always.
Well that depends on what you want out of the tire. Good on road only? Good off road only? 50/50 split? 70/30? What do you want to do with the tire and your truck?

#19 ·
I Drive a bit in the snow and offroad but not much mud. For now mods come as wife and my son allow but hope to tweak it quite a bit sooner or later. For now its 60/40 highway to dirt but I want to jeep decent balance eithet way.

#20 ·
I have KM2's and love them good on road and great off road. Very quiet for an MT while on road but they do take a lot of weight to balance and they don't like standing water at on road speeds. I used to have Goodyear Duratracs and they were a really well balanced on/off road option but I went to KM2's because I'm mostly concerned with off road performance now.

Take a look at the Duratracs they fall into what you are looking for and perform really well.

#21 ·
Stay away from BFG AT/KO. I have those right now and I'm having some balancing issues. They also won't last as long as I had expected. I'm at 40000 miles now and almost due for a replacement. I will be going with the BFG KM2 next as I haven't heard a bad thing about them.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.