Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Engine Shut Off After Filling Gas Tank

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Heavy Metal 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I posted this over at new X .org, but wanted to get it up here to see if anyone had any ideas...thanks!

I'm kind of at my wits end right now and am seeking help if anyone has any ideas. Apologies for the long post in advance, but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Xterra
SE (4WD)
118,000 miles

I've been having an engine shut off while driving issue for about a month now. When it first happened I had just filled up the gas tank. I was driving down the road at about 40mph (about 30 miles later after filling up) and the engine simply shut off and all of the lights on the dash lit up. No sputtering or irregular engine noise before. I lost all power steering / brakes and coasted into a parking lot. When I tried to start the engine back up, it would crank but wouldn't turn over. I ended up getting it towed home, and sure enough after it was unloaded, it started right up no problem.

Over the past month, I have found that if I let it sit for about 15 minutes after it does this, it will start back up. The engine shut off doesn't seem to have any pattern, it is sporadic...but happens very often.

Prior to this, my fuel sending unit took a crap and has been malfunctioning for about four or five months. I have the part, just haven't got around to dropping the tank to fix it. The Service Engine Soon light has been on since it broke.

Since this issue happened, I have done my due diligence and searched this site for known issues on this problem.

I replaced the IPDM with the new black board ($300 later) that included a new ECU relay. I also replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor due to the code appearing. I also put in a new battery, it wasn't dead but was low and I figured why not.

After I did all of this, I thought I had the problem solved...I was really excited! The Service Engine light turned off and I thought it was fixed. For some reason the fuel gauge even started working again and I thought it might have been because I replaced the IPDM.

I drove it around for about week and didn't have any issues. During this time, I ran the gas down driving it. Then, (and I am sure you can see this coming) I filled up the tank. The Service Engine Soon light came on again as I was pulling out of the gas station and then it started doing the engine cutoff problem again. Same issue as I mentioned above...sporadic engine shut off while driving and there with no pattern at all. The X is very unreliable right now and might work, but will most likely cut off at some point leaving me sitting on the side of the road.

I just drove it up to the auto parts store and they pulled two codes. P0335 for the crankshaft sensor (which I just replaced?), and also a P0463 code for the fuel level sensor.

Does anyone feel like this could be a fuel pump problem? I keep hanging on to this thought because of the fuel level coincidence. The FP has never been replaced as far as I know (owned it since 25k miles)

Also, why would the crankshaft code be still showing if I replaced it? Maybe the wiring harness?

Any help or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
It's been several months since your post. Hopefully you have resolved the problem.

My first check would be the gas cap. They need to be vented so the gas can flow (think about holding a finger over the end of a straw that's filled with water - same concept).

So, replace the gas cap, if you haven't already.

#3 ·
It's been several months since your post. Hopefully you have resolved the problem.

My first check would be the gas cap. They need to be vented so the gas can flow (think about holding a finger over the end of a straw that's filled with water - same concept).

So, replace the gas cap, if you haven't already.
Okay, I have owned a 2004 x, 3.3 non-SC since March, and have experienced engine cut out immediately after my last two fill ups. It does eventually go away...about 10 minutes into my commute. That leads me to think your gas cap theory is a serious possibility...like an air-lock/vent issue. I'll grab one on the way home!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.