Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Front winch bumper design files

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  johnkoch12 
#1 ·
Looking for autocad or solidworks files for a front winch bumper design for a 2000 Xterra. My son bounced the truck off the guardrail (not hurt) and I have done the bodywork and air bags but need a bumper to get back on the road... No way I am putting a factory bumper back on: not a fan of beer cans and plastic. All the usual fabricators are months out if they will commit at all, and I am in Canada so there are extra shipping hassles, costs, and delays. I have a plasma cutter and a welder but drawings would save me a bunch of time. Will only build one, and would be glad to pay for the drawings. Thanks, John Koch jkoch@enerdrill.com, 403-519-3837
PS I am a Noob, sorry if this is a duplicate post, thanks to everyone for the great info on these forums

#6 ·
So I'm considering a DIY winch bumper for my 03. I have TIG and cutting capabilities but not bending. Does anybody know if there is a significant difference in strength between bends and welds? I was thinking that I would try to get the middle section (where the winch mounts) bent out of a single peice but if it's not going to provide more strength I'm not going to go through the hassle. Also, I'm planning on 5/16" for the frame mounts and 3/16" for the rest. Is 3/16" enough for the front plate where the winch mounts? Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

#7 ·
To follow up on this, I ended up buying a bumper from Logan Metal Works. I got the one without the pre-runner. I had them powder coat it black. I had it shipped to Sweetgrass Montana and I drove down there and picked it up. Contrary to what i had heard, the service was excellent. They don't immediately respond to all emails and call but WTF they run a small business (so do I) and have other things to do. They shipped exactly when they said, and the bumper was very well packed and received with no damage. I was 100% satisfied with the quality of the bumper, in fact it exceed my expectations in all ways. I have plasma cutting / welding capabilities but to be honest, if we had built our own it would have been far inferior to what I bought. Highly recommended. If anyone wants I would be happy to send a few pictures. Thanks to everyone for the help. John.

#9 ·
Pics of the bumper

Here is a picture (note my 1987 'Bavarian Ferrari' (BMW 635 csi) for sale in the background). The shipping was fine, it was $120 to Shelby, Montana. The bumper was extremely well packed and arrived with no damage. Sorry in delay in posting, working out of town a lot.

Attachments

#12 ·
Yes, I really like the bumper. I have a set of small, square LED driving lights I am going to mount on top. I need to find some round driving lights to mount in the holes in the bumper (open to any ideas there). It is a block heater cord, the average temperature year round in Calgary Alberta is 3 degrees C (37 degrees USA)... have run diesels for years and got in the habit of plugging them in. I try to get at least 300,000 miles out of an engine, don't always make it, don't let your teenagers drive LOLz, but starting a cold engine at -40 is a killer

#13 ·
Further to my comments on the block heater, when we build a garage up here, we usually wire an outside plug on the back of the garage that has a switch in the house by the back door. You plug in when you get home. In the morning you get up, switch on the block heater, then make coffee. By the time you are ready to go the engine is pre-heated enough to help a lot. Block heaters running all night just waste power and spin your meter. Costs you one extra switch loop when you wire your garage. There is probably some cool wireless thing to do this now or Steve Jobs can do it for you LOLz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.