Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Jenn B From Ctown

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  robcarync 
#1 ·
I bought a beautiful looking 2000 model x couple weeks ago, for just over 5k odo has 107k and change on it. I think there may be some issues with it. some times when I start it up it sounds like thee fan is working way to hard and the ball joint on the drivers side seams to be popping when I turn really sharp. so there is work to be done. I just worried about this fan deal. does anyone have any experience with this issue?

#2 ·
The popping on a sharp turn is your steering stop hitting the rub plate. The plastic cap is probably work through. Mine does it too. It can be greased if the noise bothers you.

Which Fan? My 2000 has the main radiator cooling fan, and also the idle auxiliary fan. The aux fan I don't think even works, and I may rip it off the next time I remove the grille.

The main cooling fan attache to the water pump housing, well, that's pretty important. Check your temps are OK. Are you sure it is the fan, and no a loose air box cover or something else? Fans can go out. At 107K, what you REALLY need to know is if the timing belt has been changed. If not, get it done ASAP. They'll find any problems with the cooling fan or clutch while doing that. It may be a little costly, but you're good for another 105K miles when it is done.

#3 ·
Also, when you start, watch RPM. It will run at higher rpm to warm the engine up to operating temp faster, then it slows down to normal idle at about 750-800. That higher 1200-1500 rpm might be what you are hearing.

#4 ·
its sounds like the fan is running harder not the engine. I called my mechanic he is going to have a look at it in the next couple days. Thanks for the advice with the timing belt. I will have him take it for a test drive and do a good once over to see what he thinks needs done. He is awsome, owns and runs his own shop no over head and so far real honest. When I hit the gas it sounds like the fan is running harder and not the engine. hoping this is not an expensive fix

#6 ·
Fan Clutch may be sticking. Mechanic should catch it.

#7 ·
Thanks. I think I am going to get the front axle, timing belt, both fans, and a test drive done. All said and done Im looking at 1000 bucks if everything needs replaced. My X was parked for a little while gonna need new tires soon too. While he's in there doing what hes doing hell replace everything that will be cheap as parts but will take time in the future to replace. I am kinda nervous about the whole thing. Just spent 5k on this X and now looking at dropping more into it right away... this is really scary. Other than the fan and maintenance She runs wonderful. She has rust under her, and will need to be fixed in the summer. I will be getting that fixed. She has another 150-200K in her if I treat her right and as little as I drive that will last me another 10 years or more. I dont mind putting money in her if she is going to last but a money pit is not what I want.

#8 ·
That's only 2 payments if you had bought something new. After 2 more months, you're saving $$. My newest vehicle is a 2004. I don't know why anyone buys new and eats all that depreciation.

#9 ·
I had the same thing with my 2004...bought it with low miles and immediately found ~1200 bucks of repairs...it has since been great for me, though I've only had it about 9 months.

Just get it checked out by a trusted mechanic and keep up with the maintenance from there...it will be good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.