Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Rough idle problem

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  proudxterraowner 
#1 ·
This may or may have been talked about and when I searched there was a bunch over it but they don't have the same symptoms. About 4 days ago, I went muddin and after, I went to the car wash and sprayed most the mud off and I opened the hood to kind of get some of the mud out of the engine compartment and I didn't spray to hard but after finishing up, I got in and started and instantly it was idling crappy. My thought was that I could have gotten something wet and I will just leave it at my grandparents for maybe two days. I went and got her Sunday evening and cranked her up and it will idle then drop some it feels like its going to die but the rpms are well above 500. In drive and reverse it does it a lot. I know that the spark plugs probably haven't been changed cause for the this year and a half I've had it going from 88k miles to 119k now, I've haven't done em. Could that be it? Or a coil or something? Kinda puzzled.

#2 ·
It is more likely that there spark plug areas are filled with water and that is shorting out the plugs.
Plugs should last 100K miles. Ignition wires don't!
The other thing you need to do is remove the distributor cap and wipe off the inside of it, as spark may be tracking on the inside of the cap. (due to moisture and metalic film on inside of cap)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.