Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Sluggish acceration

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  smason54321 
#1 ·
So to start out, I have a 2002 xterra SE, 4wd 6 cylinder, 3.3l. My water pump went out. It took about a month and a half before i could replace it. Friend of mine said he could do it. Replaced, and got sluggish on acceleration....suggested I replace fuel filter, since it has never been done. The filter discharge was extremely cloudy. Replaced it, put in top of the line fuel additive/injector cleaner and premium gas. Then it wouldn't start...started to replace fuel pump(also had never been done)....realized I was over my head...took it to a shop...the replace fuel pump, and got it running, but I still am very sluggish on acceleration....Any ideas on what to do next?

#5 · (Edited)
I'd do the plugs, plug wires, air filter, PCV valve, air and fuel filters if you haven't done them in awhile (or ever). Those are all regular maintenance items that should be done anyway, and could help in troubleshooting your issue even if they don't solve it. I'd also check for vacuum hose leaks in all hoses and in the air intake inlet hose. Use a can a of brake cleaner and spray around the hoses while the engine is running. If you get the RPM's to ramp up, you've found a leak. Get a can of MAF cleaner and clean your MAF sensor using instructions found in these forums. Dump a can of Sea Foam in with a full tank of gas. After you've done those relatively cheap and easy things, I'd look at the distributor. Besides the easy replacement of the cap and rotor, the upper bearing in the distributors can cause your issue when they go bad. There's a thread here that gives step by step instructions on how to replace that bearing. Although if you need a cap and rotor too, you may just replace the whole distributor for about $130 that will come with a new cap and rotor installed.

#6 ·
Ok...so i went out tonight just to cross the street to the grocery store just to see if my car would run, and it stalled in the middle of the street...back where i was before the fuel pump....won't start...questions...could it be that the timing belt wasn't hooked up right when the water pump was installed?...could I have put the fuel filter in backwards?...although i have driven on the filter for over 20 miles before it wouldn't start..i have a new battery, starter and alternator...so i know it's not hem...i still get power..i spent 300 to have the fuel pump installed and a diagnostic...only to have the repair place say that it could be timing belt or clogged injectors....please...i'm at my wits end...need to know where to go next...i'm not very knowledgeable on cars...so i don't know where to spray the brake cleaner to check vacuum leaks or know what a MAF sensor or cleaner is...thank you for anyone that can help

#7 ·
You really need someone knowledgeable right there with you.

For instance: The condition of the spark plugs will indicate whether the problem is an ignition or fuel system issue. But you need some experience to read the spark plugs when you have them laying in front of you. Not going to dump info on you has you were overwhelmed by the previous info offered.

#8 ·
Just perform a search to look up anything that isn't clear from the previous suggestions offered. I didn't know what a mass airflow sensor (MAF) was before I learned I should try cleaning it one day. If you did a search for "MAF cleaning" on this forum, you will find many different posts about the topic. Some of which will offer links to a step-by- step how-to with pictures! Spend some time reading and learning anything you can and then get to work. There's a link to the service manual in PDF chapter form (free) here too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.