Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Car won't start!! Good battery, new starter, new fuel pump and filter

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ohiopoboy 
#1 ·
Ok so in April I bought a 2003 Xterra, it had 142,000 miles. The radio didn't work, and it kinda smelled like burning plastic. A week or two later, the problems started. I started smelling a foul odor while I'm driving, like some nasty burning gas.

When I turn on the car, after being off for a while, it makes a high pitched noise, like 1000 "pig-birds" screeching. I haven't done anything about that problem yet. Another thing was that when I turned off the car too quickly, and removed the key from the ignition, it would stay on.

Then, out of the blue, my car wouldn't turn on. I had parked in front of a fire hydrant to run inside the store, less than 2 minutes later the car didn't want to start. I stayed there all night trying to troubleshoot the car. I checked the fuses, they were all good. I had someone give me a jump, nothing. I found the shift release button, and managed to move the car enough so I wouldn't get a ticket for being in front of the fire hydrant. The next day a car electrician can and told me my battery was really low. So I went to get it charged, and still nothing. I got a new battery and still nothing. Then they told me maybe the starter, so I went and got a new starter. This time it cranked but didn't start. A repair shop told me there was no pressure coming from the fuel, it was the fuel pump. Ok...I got that replace along with the fuel filter. nothing! Then after looking online, I saw something I had seen that it could be the anti theft system that might have locked. It said to remove the relay, then plug it back in. It worked:) the car started.

Not more then two weeks later, it wouldn't start. Again. Then it decides to turn on. Then it won't start, and so on. When everything in the car is off and I test the fuses, it says there is 3 things that stay on. I don't know...

Last three days the car will not turn onnnnnn!!!! There is no crank, lights turn on, but there is a humming sound.i though it was from near the fuse box, but I'm not sure. PLEASE HELP!

See less See more
#3 ·
You're going to have to get out the multi meter and start testing voltages and checking relays. It sounds like you have a relay sticking, but I can't be sure.

#4 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum! However, I have a 03' and I've been having to replace the start it seems like about once a year now. I'm honestly dumbfounded on whats causing this. I do know that the battery hasn't ever been replaced. lights work, radio works, it just clicks, wont turn over. It's literally the weirdest thing of all. Nothing is leaking and falling onto it say oil or anything that would be obliviously killing it. minus core charge im spending close to 90 bucks or so for one. Maybe this last one is still under warranty. Just would like some input and help from all of you! " Dealership" stated once it starts clicking and not starting its going out. Everytime I replace starts right up. Being as old as the battery is could that be weaking the starter each pull or what? Fuses, grounding problems, heard something about wiring going to the lamps or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.